AGB missing the 2 antennas

Frank

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi, I found out today that one of my AGB has the two antennas missing.. as I know/saw that millis uses antennas to move, will that be a big problem for her?

Thanks, Frank

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Are you sure they're actually missing and not just tucked in? They can pull them up pretty tight.

If they are missing, they may re-generate after the next molt. I've observed that centipedes will regenerate lost appendages, not sure about millis. I would guess that they do.

Wade

Frank

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yes they are really missing.

I hope that they will regenerate, but I doubt, you have more experience than me, but the antennas are more than muscles, they are used to see what is near the milli, so it may be impossible to regenerate because they are not only muscles :(

Anyways, we'll see! I'll give news if ever I see all my millis with antennas :)

Frank

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My understanding of arthropod evolutionary theory is that the ansestral arthropod was basicaly a segmented worm. Each segment of this (hypothetical) beast had one pair of legs. Gradually, through natural selection, the function of these limbs differetiated. Some became mouthparts, wings, spinerets, antennae etc (obviously not all on the same animal, LOL!) and some just dropped off entirely.

In short, from an evolutionary standpoint, the antennas are essesially modified legs. In all likleyhood, if the legs regenerate then the antennae probaly do too. I feel that I have read on this forum of someone with a centipede that regenerated it's antennae, but can't remember who.

Tarantulas, to cite another example, can not only regenerate legs, but also spinerettes, chelicerae and pedipalps.

You mentioned in annother thread about some of your millis having partially missing legs, and now this with the antennae. It does make me a little concerned about how the millis were kept prior to you getting them (I know you just recieved them). Loss of limbs, or "leg rot" as it is sometimes known, is condition that effects millis that have been kept too wet in poorly ventilated conditions. My suspision is that it is fungal in nature. It sounds like you've got a good set up now, so hopefully the problem (if it exists) will correct itself.

Good luck,

Wade

Frank

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for your comments, my millis are WC.. :( I couldn't find anybody near me that had CB ones anyways..

I'll look more for my millis after one molts :)

Thanks, Frank