AGB Building Dome Structure

Rimba

Arachnopeon
Hey everybody!

So today I was pulling some uneaten spinach out of my AGB's enclosure when a little dime-sized patch of dirt fell through into a chamber my millipede had made. At that point I noticed that the dirt surrounding that area was much looser than the dirt around it, and was bulging outward in a dome shape (picture included). I peered into the hole and didn't see any sign of my millipede — she's been underground for weeks now, so I assumed she was molting anyway. Cut to hours later, and I found her fixing the damage I had done to her dome from the inside.

I have never seen her do anything like this, nor have I read about this sort of a behavior anywhere else! Is it possible that she's preparing a place to molt, but was a little too close to the surface and decided to build a higher ceiling? I'm baffled. I wasn't even aware AGBs constructed. I was more under the impression that they only tunneled!

Any new behavior always gets me a little worried, but with this I'm mostly just confused. Does anybody have any information on this?
Marimba Pic.jpg Marimba.gif

mickiem

Arachnoprince
This is similar to breeding behavior. I keep my adults in large enclosures with 10-14" substrate. They generally tunnel throughout but I will often see chambers near the surface. Maybe they do this when they start maturing? I have never seen my juveniles do it, but then they don't have substrate quite as deep.

Rimba

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the response!

Hmm... interesting! I'm at least glad to see that it's relatively normal behavior. About what age would you call maturity in an AGB?

Also, update: A few hours after making the post she had sealed the hole I made back up from the inside! I had no idea millipedes could build like that — I'm impressed.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
It is amazing what millipedes can do, polydesmids make whole cities with their frass!

Thanks,

Arthroverts