AGB breeding basics

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I can't seem to find any posts on the best method for breeding these things. Don't you just use a lot of substrate, let the poo/eggs collect, and wait for babies?

Any links or pics of setups would be cool :cool:

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Never mind I found a great site:

http://www.geocities.com/millipedes_uk/

I'm just going to throw mine in, lots of substrate, and never clean it out. God help me if i get mites or maggots or something in there. I doubt it though, I cover all my airhole with breathable medical gauze or tape. Let air in, keeps flies out :)

Bark

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I doubt it though, I cover all my airhole with breathable medical gauze or tape. Let air in, keeps flies out :)
Fruit flies will come from the fruit you will be throwing in there. There is no way to prevent flies and I doubt there is a way to prevent mites.

I have been trying the 6+ inch depth soil method, plenty of leaves, cuttlebone, wet substrate for 2 years. I never had one baby.

What is more depressing is that in the last 3 weeks, 3 of my 4 millies have died. :(

ftorres

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hello ALl,
I have experience the same kind of situation.
We really need to find a good technique as these guys are not going to be imported any more.

So what is here is here and lets make sure, we find a good and fast way to reproduce them in captivity

there are several people already doing it,so perhaps they can share.

francisco

357wheelgunner

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This comes up all the time, no one every says anything useful, just links to places where you can buy the millipede book.

AngelPixel

Arachnopeon
First off there isnt really a "fast" way to get them to multiply. milli's in general can take a long time to mature. i have babies that are teeny tiny new babies and bigger 2-3 inchers that are about a year old. providing them with a good substrate, food and moisture seems to be my trick. well with the narceus americanus anyways. my giant africans have been mating like crazy over the past few weeks. but it can be a while before i even see babies as they are only a few mm when hatched.

the females have the ability to retain sperm in them for very long periods of time. sometimes up to a year. i bought some CB babies from a girl who bought a single female millipede for her schoolwork. all of a sudden she ended up with a bunch of babies. when i bought them from her they were about 5-6 inches long and a year old. they are now 3 years old and 6-7 inches they havent reached full maturity yet.

for some reason my giant africans love to mate right in front of me while im cleaning their food dishes and giving them fresh food. i saw 3 pairs mate ina matter of an hour and one pair mated twice. yes i have pictures and video. ;) so im hoping i will see little white guys somewhere in there. ive been able to find pics of the babies online. they just look like really small white milli's. that giant millipede book is pretty good too. i also had a rare find on amazon a book called "the biology of millipedes". (theres also a "biology of centipedes" as well) it was and still is a very expensive book but has the most comprehensive information in it. its for the real nerdy people. it is a science book, it was written 16 years ago its not aimed towards like pet keepers but it has alot of good info in it. tons of references in the bibliography as well.

hope this helps!

Kid Dragon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I had a male and female AGB millipede in a ten gallon tank with 5 inches of soil and ended up with 88. There was no trick to it, they bred at room temperature 70 degrees. They started out less than the size of an eyelash and were eating machines.

If you put a sexually mature male and female AGB millipede together they are prolithic breeders. If you give them enough substrate and food, the young will survive.