AGB breedign

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I am sure this has been asked before, but how long after mating do you normally see babies that you can tell are millipedes?

spydrhunter1

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I've been wondering the same thing...I've had mine since January and still no babies. They seem to be mating all the time.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've heard some say over a year, I've heard others say four months . . . probably depends on a lot of little factors (edible components of substrate, temeprature, whether the female was gravid to begin with . . .).

I had mating pairs in a tank for over a year with no babies, then switched tanks a few months ago -- the new setup seems to be more "millipede-friendly." Nothing yet though.

millipeter

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
A. gigas like it to lay there eggs (in oothecae) if the substrate is more wet than moist. Temperatures over 24°C will be fine and a constant high humidity. Also you need a lot of matings cause this stimulates the maturing of oocytes.
After laying eggs it takes about 6 to 8 weeks till the larves hatch out. Then after 2 molts the tiny millipedes will crawl around on the surface at night. Be careful they can climb very well (silicon edges) and break out very easy.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
A. gigas like it to lay there eggs (in oothecae) if the substrate is more wet than moist. Temperatures over 24°C will be fine and a constant high humidity. Also you need a lot of matings cause this stimulates the maturing of oocytes.
After laying eggs it takes about 6 to 8 weeks till the larves hatch out. Then after 2 molts the tiny millipedes will crawl around on the surface at night. Be careful they can climb very well (silicon edges) and break out very easy.
ok so to stimulate them to lay the eggs , i should flood the substrate till tis pretty wet then? I generally keep it moist . also the humidity is pretty high in there as the sides of the thing sweat on the inside lol and to check for babies use a flash light after dark?

Bark

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The problem is if you keep it wet you are more likely to get mites, silverfish, and mold. I have heard of people who have dry soil having baby millies and others not having any luck until they drenched the place. I have had eggs since February and I have yet to see a baby. :(

Supposedly they don't surface often until they reach a reasonable size, so you have to insert food into the soil.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
The problem is if you keep it wet you are more likely to get mites, silverfish, and mold. I have heard of people who have dry soil having baby millies and others not having any luck until they drenched the place. I have had eggs since February and I have yet to see a baby. :(

Supposedly they don't surface often until they reach a reasonable size, so you have to insert food into the soil.
well i have a couple females that have been undergournd for a few days now. and the substrate IS food lol its all peat and rotten wood and leaf litter.

also i have pill bugs in there to help with mold. and the peded have always had mites never seen any that didnt lol