Again... topsoil question

rusted180

Arachnosquire
Soooo... i live in comifornia (CA)
Wish i can live in TX someday. Anywho...

Apparently all topsoil brands like timberline and earthgro that sells over here says "organic" on the bags.. i believe that's not a good sign.
However, i found the following at home depot:

Gardeners 1 CF Top Soil-S1TOP-1CF-GP - The Home Depot

What do u guys think? Safe? Im planning to get a fossorial at some point.. and i heard topsoil is good.
I like cocofiber for my other T's but for a fossorial, i believe its not good.
Any thoughts?

rusted180

Arachnosquire
I heard from many past threads thay anything mentioning organic could have fertilizers in it. Not true?

Hardus nameous

Yes, but only on Tuesdays!
Arachnosupporter +
Your best bet may be to call the company directly and ask them. Ask about manure content too; that's probably what they mean by "organic."

rusted180

Arachnosquire
Ahhh. I see. Hmmm.. man im so hesitant in getting topsoil. I read each state has its own blend so be careful, horror stories of how crickets survived the 24 hr run but slings dying when used with them, dont buy em if placed next to fertilizer bags at the store, etc etc.. dang.. am i over thinking this??
Ill be so pissed if i killed any T's cuz i used this sub instead of something safe like cocofiber.. but then again, i dont want mold or shrooms growing if too wet. And yes, i know ventilation is key but i still cant escape the fact cocofiber is too loose..
I really don't wanna use coco fiber with fossorials... and i dont wanna buy that lugarti expensive stuff.. so i really wanna try topsoil.

Your best bet may be to call the company directly and ask them. Ask about manure content too; that's probably what they mean by "organic."
Dang it.. i knew it! They all say "organic" even the stuff mods, other members recommend.. maybe CA has only organic topsoil..

Soooooo... dang. This is frustrating.

wesker12

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I wouldn't be so certain they all have manure, definitely check, hopefully organic just means no pesticides (good), no fertilizer (good), and lots of humus as the organic matter rather than manure.

That topsoil from home depot looks fine but maybe double check on the manure thing forsure. Topsoil details also say no fertilizer which is good!

cold blood

Staff member
What do u guys think? Safe? Im
Should be.
I like cocofiber for my other T's but for a fossorial, i believe its not good.
Any thoughts?
Coco fiber is just fine, it simply needs to be tamped down tightly (unlike top soil).
What would be wrong with organic?
All soil is inherently organic, so when you see this label, its not a reference to the dirt, but its additives...organic means manure and/or compost is in the soil...neither is something you want in an enclosure.
Ahhh. I see. Hmmm.. man im so hesitant in getting topsoil. I read each state has its own blend so be careful, horror stories of how crickets survived the 24 hr run but slings dying when used with them, dont buy em if placed next to fertilizer bags at the store, etc etc.. dang.. am i over thinking this??
Ill be so pissed if i killed any T's cuz i used this sub instead of something safe like cocofiber.. but then again, i dont want mold or shrooms growing if too wet. And yes, i know ventilation is key but i still cant escape the fact cocofiber is too loose..
I really don't wanna use coco fiber with fossorials... and i dont wanna buy that lugarti expensive stuff.. so i really wanna try topsoil.
Simply leave a few crickets in the enclosure for a few days, if the crickets survive, youre golden.

Ive never had an issue with top soil, its all i use (and ive never even done the cricket test).

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Here organic means that there is not any pesticide or fertilized added to the substrate...

It's says that there is not fertilizers on it, so it could be a good sign. I'd mail them asking about if there is any pesticide on it, if the answer is no, go for it.

rusted180

Arachnosquire
Should be.

Coco fiber is just fine, it simply needs to be tamped down tightly (unlike top soil).

All soil is inherently organic, so when you see this label, its not a reference to the dirt, but its additives...organic means manure and/or compost is in the soil...neither is something you want in an enclosure.
Simply leave a few crickets in the enclosure for a few days, if the crickets survive, youre golden.

Ive never had an issue with top soil, its all i use (and ive never even done the cricket test).
thanks cold blood! always appreciate your help/wisdom... hmmm.... i do pack coco fiber like hell.. so i guess ill possibly add that to the equation... but if i can confirm all these things with the company im gonna buy topsoil from.. then i may go with it.

thanks all for the help as well!!

FrmDaLeftCoast

Arachnosquire
I remember a thread where this came up before. There's a member here who worked with soils in Ca; I don't remember what he recommended but Cold Blood might. I'll see If I can find the thread.

Edit: Found it, read through this one. https://arachnoboards.com/threads/anyone-use-this-brand-of-topsoil.327977/
I'm that member!

And if you want to follow anyone's advice, you can't do any better than @cold blood

PS. I personally wouldn't use EarthGro Topsoil, it's the "bread pudding" of soils (hopefully you understand what that means, if not just ask). If you want a topsoil that I can guarantee doesn't have any fertilizer (either organic or non-organic), I'd suggest Scotts Premium Topsoil (it's a white/red bag). Since your in California....off the top of my head, below is a list of substrates I'd recommend:

Miracle-Gro Garden Mulch (don't let the word "mulch" scare you away. It resembles soil more than it does mulch)
EarthGro Ground Cover
Scotts Premium Topsoil
Vigoro Coco

Vigoro Sphagnum Peat Moss

Rhino1

Arachnobaron
"Organic" soil simply means no chemicals, it still could have manure, processed chicken poo pellets, wetting agents etc

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
All y'all who think "organic" means "no chemicals" need to do some research on the subject. Lots of fertilizers and man-made chemicals (including some very nasty ones) are allowed in organic farming.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Here for example, Bio and organic labels are regulated by law, and they can't contain any added unnatural chemicals. This may differ from one place to another

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
Here for example, Bio and organic labels are regulated by law, and they can't contain any added unnatural chemicals. This may differ from one place to another
I don't know where "here" is, but in the US, "organic" can definitely contain a variety of man-made chemicals.