After molt question

Seath

Arachnopeon
Quick question: After a molt, about how long should I wait until attempting a feeding. I just recently recieved a curlyhair that molted right after it arrived.

thanks
j

edit: it's about 2" in size

Last edited:

bodc21

Arachnojason
Old Timer
well id say about a couple days to a few days thats how long i usually wait and they usually have a pretty big appetite,take care jason

Doug H

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I usually wait a week for a T that size.longer for larger T's

BenG

Arachnopeon
Kind of along the same lines...

Two and a half weeks ago my G. Rosea molted and it took a total of Three days until she completely exited the exuvium. There were a few times when the process looked extremely abnormal and had me worried.. but so far, she seems to be ok. She started eating like crazy about a week after the molt but will NOT leave her hide to eat at all. The prey has to come within a half inch of the opening for her to go for it. I really want to see if she came out of the process ok but I am not to sure about trying to nudge her out of the hide.

Has anyone had their T make a lengthy stay in their hide after a molt? What is the longest timeframe you all have seen? I am perfectly patient and willing to let her do her thing but on the other hand I really want to see if she lost a limb or if the 3 day molting process caused any damage.

Last edited:

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
it depend on the size of the T, the bigger the T is the longer the fang will take to harden ( I think ) ... just wait 4-5 days and pretty sure she will be fine, also this question been on this forum 1 million of time

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I'd wait 5-7 days before offering food. If it runs from it, take it out, wait 3-5 more days, and try again.

It won't eat if it's not ready.

BenG

Arachnopeon
Kirdec said:
also this question been on this forum 1 million of time
Actually I just spent over 20 minutes searching through the forums for a post that was talking about a hiding spider in postmolt and this is the closest thing i found.

And the question i personally had was not about the fangs hardening or her NOT eating.. She is actually feeding as expected. The question I have is whether or not you all have had spiders stay inhiding for an extended amount of time after a molt. She has been in hiding almost coming up on a month.

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
BenG said:
Actually I just spent over 20 minutes searching through the forums for a post that was talking about a hiding spider in postmolt and this is the closest thing i found.

And the question i personally had was not about the fangs hardening or her NOT eating.. She is actually feeding as expected. The question I have is whether or not you all have had spiders stay inhiding for an extended amount of time after a molt. She has been in hiding almost coming up on a month.
I think Kirdec was responding to the original question, which I also did at first before realizing that thread was 2 years old. :)

Anyways, I've had a couple that have hid for 2-3 weeks before coming out. I currently have a P. murinus that's been sealed up in its flowerpot for about 2 weeks.

Don't worry about it. It should be fine.

BenG

Arachnopeon
becca81 said:
Don't worry about it. It should be fine.
:D Thx Becca...

...and yeah, that's what I was thinking too.. but still after a longer than estimated molting process I have my worries. I never got to actually see the molting process other than a few glimpses but there were some very odd situations during the process that had me worried and I still havent been able to get a glimpse of her since. Im just a paranoid owner.. hahahah

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
BenG said:
The question I have is whether or not you all have had spiders
stay inhiding for an extended amount of time after a molt. She has been in hiding almost coming up on a month.
I have a H. lividum that virtually never comes out of its burrow. I don't think you have anything to be concerned about. Though your T's molt did take longer than normal. However, since it is eating well, I doubt you have any problems. If it weren't eating, then I would be concerned.

WJT DEMON

Arachnopeon
Hmm...I seemed to have quite the opposite happen to my T. I have had a pink toe since Xmas time. It hadn't eaten until it molted right at the beginning of february. It molted in a day, and started eating again 3 days later and has had 1-2 crickets a day since then. Why exactly is it eating so much. Obviously its normal and good but it doesn't seem common. It's about 2 1/2 inches now after the molt. I am obviously new to this but I just watched it nab two crickets at the same time, which was cool :)