AFS angry with water.

MatisIsLoveMantisIsLyf

Arachnobaron
My AFS aka Asian forest scorpion gets pissed off when he feels the water particles from the sprayer hit him. He doesn't like rainy weather, but what can I do? If I don't moisten up his enclosure, bad things will happen. Lol, it's funny seeing him trying to catch the water particles while hissing.

FatherOfScorpions

Arachnoknight
This happens with all my Asian forest scorpions too. Just let them get under a hide first and try you're best not to spray directly at them. You could put a divider between the scorp and where you're misting but you're still going to disturb the scorpion so it's quicker to just mist when they are under a hide.

Last edited:

Stenodactylus

Arachnosquire
They may hiss, but they don't make sound comparable to Opistophthalmus haha. Those guys stridulate, from what I have heard.

But yeah, it's normal for the Heterometrus to get pissed when you spray. I generally don't spray, and just try to keep the substrate moist and water dish full.

MatisIsLoveMantisIsLyf

Arachnobaron
They may hiss, but they don't make sound comparable to Opistophthalmus haha. Those guys stridulate, from what I have heard.

But yeah, it's normal for the Heterometrus to get pissed when you spray. I generally don't spray, and just try to keep the substrate moist and water dish full.
Same but I like mimicing their natural enviroment, a rainforest. Also that little dumbass keeps going above his hide... I tried 10 different enclosure designs, but he seems to like to hide in the top of his hide, below his lid. Might need a taller enclosure haha.

Serpyderpy

Arachnosquire
I love it when animals get annoyed at you for doing something that they need in order to survive. And by love I mean it's frustrating, because you can't just tell them it's for their own wellbeing.

"I'm doing this because I love you! :arghh:"

MatisIsLoveMantisIsLyf

Arachnobaron
Hey guys, any solutions on why scorpions are retarded and wont go inside their hide... He litteraly stays above his hide, which is below his lid. Today he escaped! when i tried feeding him, i turned my back for 3 seconds in order to get my tweezers, and he was suddenly on top of my keyboard.

MatisIsLoveMantisIsLyf

Arachnobaron
how are you heating the enclosure?
Atm I don't have a heating matt. I keep it next to my heating device which heats the house. Currently my room stays at 20-27 degrees celcius. Roughly 15 at night and morning. When it gets colder I use the heating devices for my animals and for me! Althought most of them got their heating matts. My scorpions enclosure doesn't drop below 15, and that at night.. At day it will remain stable 20. I might buy a heating matt, but I don't know where am I going to fit it lol. Anyway, what watts should I get?. The smallest one I think heats tanks to 27-30 celcius.

Mila

Arachnoknight
well remember that the heater to heat an entire room to 20-27 degrees is going to be a whole lot hotter than that right next to it. if thats what temps you maintain id just put the scorpion on a shelf somewhere as it seems like the scorp is trying to get away from the heat (which will be mostly on the substrate).

also, scorpions dont technically hiss as hissing requires a tongue and oxygen to flow through the mouth which scorpions dont do. i believe they rub parts of their bodies together and it causes a noise that sounds like a hiss.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
Have you considered a heated cabinet? These use 1 heat source, more economical than multiple mats.
Heated cabinet.jpg
Flexwatt, not in view on left, controlled by a t'stat, lower right. Built from scrap lumber and styrofoam. A small salvaged fan is used for air circulation, helps maintain a more even cabinet temperature. My door is solid, no viewing ports, but acrylic can be inserted for viewing.
Build one to the size you need, just takes a little planning and common sense.
I'm sure someone from the "Milky Way" can build one. :rofl:

MatisIsLoveMantisIsLyf

Arachnobaron
Well I figured out why he was at the top of the hide, he didn't like it. They like to squeeze themselves instead of having space to roam. I made a tighter hide and he likes to stay there. He came out to drink and went back inside.

Scorpionluva

Arachnoangel
They may hiss, but they don't make sound comparable to Opistophthalmus haha. Those guys stridulate, from what I have heard
oh yeah ! I had some O walbergi years ago and it was a howl hearing how loud they were. Jaguajir pintoi stridulate louder than any species ive ever seen or heard yet. Very angry species but i love it !

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I wouldnt worry about making the AFS "Angry" or anything, unless its already incredibly stressed. Give it some stimulation ;)

In any case, when mine do this, i give them a short spritz to the mouthparts so they'll drink. always good to be sure they're doing that.