African Redclaw Scorpion (Pandinus cavimanus)

Theraphosa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi guys...
I'm interested in this kind of scorpions. Can you guys tell me some info about them. I've heard they are similar to Emperor. So, can they live together in a 10 gallon tank?
thanks

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hello,

I have three of these, two males and a female that were collected in or near Tanzania. The female has dug herself a burrow, and the males dig around but haven't burrowed yet. They have a good appetite! The males have larger and redder claws than the females.

When I tried to keep them together they were aggressive toward one another, but I suppose with sufficient hides they could be kept together in a ten or twenty gallon size container.

Keep them between 55% and 90% humidity, watering them in the evening. Their temps should be between 60F and 85F.

In their natural environment it gets cooler and more humid at night, and less humid and hotter during the day.

I keep mine in deep peat/potting soil substrate.

Hope this helps a little,

Paul

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh, they seem more defensive than emperors to me, and a little quicker to use their stinger.

Paul

Theraphosa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
thanks for the info phoenixxavierre
are you keeping your redclaws together right now?

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Theraposa
thanks for the info phoenixxavierre
are you keeping your redclaws together right now?
You're welcome, Theraposa.

No, I'm not.

I plan on selling or trading them so I'm holding off on putting them all together.

Paul

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Great pics! The more I look at them, the more I want to get one.

Or two.

Or three!

Oh. And you said that they are more defensive than emperors. Are they more active?

Bd

Theraphosa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've already order 2 from Kelly... I wonder what will be my freebie! :) I hope it's not one of those dangerous scorpions, like the Fattailed scorpion... ...

Last edited:

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Big Dragonfly
Great pics! The more I look at them, the more I want to get one.

Or two.

Or three!

Oh. And you said that they are more defensive than emperors. Are they more active?

Bd
Thankyou! They seem to be quicker to react defensively and I guess I would say more active, yes, but I haven't yet observed them in a large container like what my emperors are in. So, given the same conditions they might calm down, or even become a bit reclusive.

Anyone else out there keep these together in a larger setup? From what I've observed, the females tend to hide in their burrow and the males seem to be active. When I did try to keep them together, all of them were defensive towards each other, and the female especially. When she was given the room to dig a burrow she dug one leading down a few inches at a 45 degree slant and then it straightened out level for several inches.

Her burrow stretches around the inside of a 1 gallon Rubbermaid container next to the clear plastic so you can see inside. Pretty neat!

Paul

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well, your pictures sure did help me to decide what kind of scorpions that I will eventually get! Wow! I can't wait untill I have some free money to spend. Damn Awesome! That first picture has made a really awesome Desktop Background too!

Bd

looseyfur

Arachnofur
Old Timer
dangerous freebee

would he or has he really been foolish enough to provide dangerous freebees ? how can you guage if the person ordering is ready or wants a dangerous freebee?

odd

l.c.fur

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Big Dragonfly
Well, your pictures sure did help me to decide what kind of scorpions that I will eventually get! Wow! I can't wait untill I have some free money to spend. Damn Awesome! That first picture has made a really awesome Desktop Background too!

Bd
Thanks!

I'm glad I could help!

Cheers,

Paul

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Re: dangerous freebee

Originally posted by looseyfur
would he or has he really been foolish enough to provide dangerous freebees ? how can you guage if the person ordering is ready or wants a dangerous freebee?

odd

l.c.fur
I don't think that you would get a dangerous freebie unless you ordered dangerous critters in the first place.

The first time I ordered from swift, I ordered a C. fasciatum, which is considered a docile yet skittish species. For a freebie, he sent be a Brachypelma angustum which is also considered docile yet skittish.

The second time I oredered, I ordered a Haplopelma aureopilosum and a Psalamous cambridgi, which are both considered on the more aggressive, bitey side. For a freebie, I got a Cyrtophylis porporicae aka Puerto Rican Pygmy. This is considered to be aggressive. In Kelly's words on his site: Small, but vicious!

So IME, the freebie is relevent on what it is that you are ordering.

I could be wrong, as this is just my best guess based on my best experience.

Bd

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Dangit! I can't stop thinking about this scorpion!!!!!! Got to get one, or 2, or 3!

Aghhh!

Bd

Theraphosa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
lol.. you tell me about... I can't wait to get mine on Tuesday. well if you can't stand it anymore... you're few clicks away to order some at Kelly's site...

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
P. cavimanus

I keep cavimanus in an approx. 200 gal custom double payne tank ... currently there is about 30 in there, but most, if not all of the females are gravid. The substrate is about 5-7 inches from the bottom of the hood (top for those who don't know). They are burrowed almost to the bottom of the tank and the burrows branch from one another. The tank is about 2.4 ft. tall, very wide and a little longer than a ft. than it is wide. The scorpions seem to be a little less aggressive, but soon I am going to remove some of the females and all of the males (there is only seven males) due to the large quantity I'm housing.

later,
edw.

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Re: P. cavimanus

Originally posted by XOskeletonRED
I keep cavimanus in an approx. 200 gal custom double payne tank ... currently there is about 30 in there, but most, if not all of the females are gravid. The substrate is about 5-7 inches from the bottom of the hood (top for those who don't know). They are burrowed almost to the bottom of the tank and the burrows branch from one another. The tank is about 2.4 ft. tall, very wide and a little longer than a ft. than it is wide. The scorpions seem to be a little less aggressive, but soon I am going to remove some of the females and all of the males (there is only seven males) due to the large quantity I'm housing.

later,
edw.
Awesome, Edw.!

Paul