Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

African Giant Millipedes?

Discussion in 'Myriapods' started by Wahoooooo, Mar 11, 2019.

1. BuzzSwole

BuzzSwole Arachnosquire

Advertisement
    It’s legal I’m pretty sure long as they’re 2nd gen captive breed. Except Florida cuz they don’t let anything come into that state for good reason lol also very interested as well. Will more than willing pay for shipping

2. They are definitely illegal to import into the US. It gets a lot harder to find any info as far as states are concerned. As far as breeding they pretty much know what to do on their own. This is the time of year into the fall when you will start seeing babies if you are going to get any. So make sure you don't change out your substrate as there may be eggs now.

3. 53D416C4-3AFE-4EDF-A933-B1D6B0A726EB.jpeg
    My family owns Insectropolis, a bug museum. We breed AGM because they can’t be imported and we want to make sure we always have a supply. I would need clear evidence that they can be mailed across state lines as we would never jeopardize ourselves or the business. Thanks

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  4. BuzzSwole

BuzzSwole Arachnosquire

Aww I wanna visit! If that’s the case I’ll wait till I can visit

5. BepopCola

BepopCola Arachnoknight Active Member

Understandable.
    I'll try and find some concrete answers (I'm interested in buying as well).

6. I checked with fish and wildlife and they don't know. Referred me to Rutgers Entomology depart. Waiting to hear but I think they are covered by the Plant Protection Act of 2000 and are considered a plant pest meaning permits are required and inspections at specific ports for the USDA to inspect etc etc. Not interested in that hassle. Have a read for yourself to see if you agree. I will wait to hear from Rutgers in the meantime.

• Like Like x 2
  7. If you have any left I would be interested. I live in NJ so I can pick them up. I already have an adult pair and a pair that are about 6" to 7" but still no babies. I would love to have more to endure they will eventually have some babies.

8. Hi, yes we still have them. Let me know what your availability to pick them up and we will work something out.

9. Arthroverts

Arthroverts Arachnoangel Active Member

There has been no problems that I know of with USFWS, APHIS, USDA, etc. confiscating millipedes that are already in the US. It is technically illegal (same with assassin bugs, exotic beetles, isopods to some extent, exotic roaches, phasmids, mantids, etc.), but the only problems I've Ever heard of is when people try to import them. Once they are in the US, especially CB specimens, the government stops regulating them. I have been at reptile shows where USFWS had a table, and people were openly selling most, if not all of the above with no problems.

Hope this helps,

Arthroverts

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  10. I messaged you so we don't clutter this thread.

11. TheMenagerie7901

TheMenagerie7901 Arachnopeon

Ga
    Do you still have them?

12. silveralex

silveralex Arachnopeon

I messaged you. Thanks.

13. mantisfan101

mantisfan101 Arachnoangel Active Member

14. The Mantis Menagerie

The Mantis Menagerie Arachnoknight Active Member

USA
    That is correct, but it is possible to obtain the permits for a number of species without containment. I have the permits for A. gigas.

15. Ratmosphere

Ratmosphere Arachnoking Active Member

CT
    Net-Bug usually has them for $100 each.

16. Interested email me at andrewcannon1962@gmail.com
    thanks,
    Andy

17. I will take some if you can ship? email me direct andrewcannon1962@gmail.com
    Thanks

18. Arthroverts

I would suggest you PM him, so that way you don't have your personal email floating around on the web :).

Thanks,

Arthroverts

19. MasterOogway

MasterOogway Arachnosquire Active Member

Are you sure those are true AGM? That satiny ridge down the centerline of each segment that yours has is supposedly diagnostic for Mardonius parilis acuticonis; separating them (along with much smaller egg size, and in general actually breeding in captivity) from true A. gigas.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Arthroverts

Now that I think about, I think I'm gonna have to agree with @MasterOogway; they are very black and shiny, while AGBs are more of a brown-black.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.