African giant millipede temperature

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Do these need to be at 75 degrees Fahrenheit or above all year round? Or will they do alright at 70 degrees Fahrenheit?

kjgalaxy

Arachnosquire
As I understand it, They should do okay down to 68 but no lower. (I'm new with much to learn, so hopefully someone with more experience will pipe up, but that was what I read.) Play it safe and get a small heater to put on one side of their cage. My house will get down to 68 or 70 this winter and I've been thinking the same thing, that I would rather spend a few dollars and put a heater in one location so if they're cold, they can stay on that side. If I see they are doing that, then I'll keep the whole cage warmer for them.

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
68-70 degrees Fahrenheit with a cage heater? Or would an air temp of 68-70 degrees Fahrenheit suffice?

mickiem

Arachnoprince
I think 68 is too low. I would keep them near 72 or above. I try to keep mine above 75 and they are breeding, growing and I have pedelings. I am sure short term drops wouldn't be devastating, but optimally I would suggest bumping it up a bit. I don't have Orin's book at my fingertips, but Sigling recommends 75+.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
So I checked Orin's book and he recommends 77-82 for adults and juveniles a little cooler. I personally don't think 68 would kill them, but it is not optimal and you shouldn't expect breeding etc. at that temp. Thank you for asking this! I'll be raising the temperature in my own enclosures a bit.

kjgalaxy

Arachnosquire
If you buy a product designed to do what you're using it for, and follow the directions, and it's UL approved, you should be okay. People get into trouble when they overload circuits or don't follow/read safety direction, or try to use a device for something that it wasn't designed for. (I was a firefighter for 5 years so I'm hyper aware of such issues.)

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Thank you for the help, I will get the same one that you purchased. Where did you get the temp sensor?

mickiem

Arachnoprince
I have mine in a plastic tub (approximately 20WX40LX20D) and I am going with a lower wattage heater. I see they also sell 12, 7 and 8W heaters. I am going to read the reviews; maybe someone will have a suggestion for size. My room stays about 72 so I just need a little boost. I was looking at that same brand.

kjgalaxy

Arachnosquire
I have mine in a plastic tub (approximately 20WX40LX20D) and I am going with a lower wattage heater. I see they also sell 12, 7 and 8W heaters. I am going to read the reviews; maybe someone will have a suggestion for size. My room stays about 72 so I just need a little boost. I was looking at that same brand.
Size of mat affects wattage. The 7 and 8 watts are 6x8 or so. The 8 x 20 is 24W. The pad I linked to stated it should not be used on plastic so I'd ask others what they use on their plastic tubs

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Size of mat affects wattage. The 7 and 8 watts are 6x8 or so. The 8 x 20 is 24W. The pad I linked to stated it should not be used on plastic so I'd ask others what they use on their plastic tubs
Thank you and yes, I will certainly research it. What I bought before was actually set up as a kit by the manufacturer. I may have to puzzle something together. You know those metal pie cookers for campfires? I think I could fashion something from that. >brain cells kicking in overdrive <. :astonished:

kjgalaxy

Arachnosquire
Okay so new update. When I got my AC recharged this summer, the house went from 78 average to 76 on average. Humidity also took a plunge. My giants buried themselves and didn't come out or move much. Since I have added the heater to the cage, I am seeing them out and about. Not real active yet, but at least coming out to eat. Considering the house got down to 66 last night, I am immensely grateful for the questions asked and the researched and informed answers given. Thank you all!

mickiem

Arachnoprince
(firefighter in me cringes) Just be careful. :)
Bahaha! I totally won't do anything stupid; no worrries. My daddy was an electrician and I have complete respect for electricity. Hopefully I can find one suitable for the side wall of a plastic bin. But if I have to mcgiver something; well I'm good at that. Creative overload. Smoky Bear is my friend. And stuff like that.