African giant millipede temperature

mickiem

Arachnoprince
I researched the heaters. Most of the smaller mat type heaters are fine for acrylic tanks, so I would assume the softer plastic as well. I thought about using seed heat mats. I've used those on particle board shelving and the seed trays are plastic (for seeds and plant cuttings; not millies). But that wouldn't be ideal for side mounts and they can raise the temp upwards of 20 degrees. And with 23 enclosures, would be a lot of checking everyday. I think my best option is my little ceramic heater I bought at Walmart. I think it was $30 and it has a safety feature if it gets knocked over it shuts itself off. I may have to move them to a small bedroom - not sure I want to live in 75+ degrees! I like having them near me so I can watch them. Much better than TV.

kjgalaxy

Arachnosquire
I researched the heaters. Most of the smaller mat type heaters are fine for acrylic tanks, so I would assume the softer plastic as well. I thought about using seed heat mats. I've used those on particle board shelving and the seed trays are plastic (for seeds and plant cuttings; not millies). But that wouldn't be ideal for side mounts and they can raise the temp upwards of 20 degrees. And with 23 enclosures, would be a lot of checking everyday. I think my best option is my little ceramic heater I bought at Walmart. I think it was $30 and it has a safety feature if it gets knocked over it shuts itself off. I may have to move them to a small bedroom - not sure I want to live in 75+ degrees! I like having them near me so I can watch them. Much better than TV.
And expensive at 35 enclosures. I love watching my millies too. Maybe you could get a couple side mounts and rotate out so you always have a few to watch

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Could you use a dome heat lamp with a red 40W bulb?
I have a heathen hound dog who runs through the house chasing the evil cat. So no lamps for me! My godson has a bearded dragon and ball python in his room, so I do have lamps running there. It's a dog & cat free zone. Who's running this household, me or the critters?

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
So I am now hearing that you can keep them at a room temp of 68-70 but it will take them a while to grow. Anybody have a good link for a side of the tank heater instead of bottom?

Last edited:

mickiem

Arachnoprince
So I am now hearing that you can keep them at a room temp of 68-70 but it will take them a while to grow. Anybody have a good link for a side of the tank heater instead of bottom?
I think short term drops in temp would be okay, but I wouldn't do it all winter long. I would strive for 75 and not let it drop under 72.

I think any under tank heater will still do the job as a side heater.

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
I really want to get this species and provide a good life for it, just very nervous about house fires. How long do you keep your heater on for?

mickiem

Arachnoprince
24/7. Do you have glass or plastic? The small ones are made for either. I used a much larger one on particle board shelving and placed plastic seed trays on them. They stay on for about 10 weeks every spring. I've never had a problem. Honestly I wouldn't worry about a fire. Buy a UL listed unit that is made to use on your enclosure type. And check it daily. Look at reviews on Amazon. Buy the brands others have used.

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
I'm about to get a 10 gallon tank if I decide to get this species. Thanks for the help!