Africactenus poecilus Care

Angron

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone,

Could anyone give me some information on the care of this species in captivity? I've tried searching with Google but haven't really found anything substantial.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Good humidity, plenty of vertical climbing space, room temp is fine. Will you have slings or sub/adults?

Mossae

Arachnopeon
Slings need to be fed very often and do not ever let them dry out. My experience.

Angron

Arachnopeon
Good humidity, plenty of vertical climbing space, room temp is fine. Will you have slings or sub/adults?
Sling that will be1/4th of an inch or so. I'm starting to become addicted to true spiders, particularly the huntsman and wandering spiders.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Figured as much since the little guys are super easy to get now. Both of those families are a lot of fun to keep, so I hope you enjoy them! :)

Angron

Arachnopeon
Thank you very much! In addition to the A. poecilus, I had the H. davidbowie and two R. junceus arrive today. The A. poecilus is probably the tiniest animal I've ever cared for, so this will definitely be a learning experience.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I love my H. davidbowie. Probably my favorite non-Latrodectus true spider. Despite being small, your A. poecilus will likely have huge appetites, so you can give them fruit flies about as big as they are and they'll eat them. Makes feeding so much easier! R. junceus are fun to keep too. An easy and very pretty scorp.

Angron

Arachnopeon
I'll have to pick up some fruit flies tomorrow then. Animals with good appetites are so much easier to deal with than finicky eaters.

Stugy

Arachnolord
Hi! I'm planning to buy one of these either in the very near future or very far future and I just want to know if A.poecilus can climb plastic/glass.

ReignofInvertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi! I'm planning to buy one of these either in the very near future or very far future and I just want to know if A.poecilus can climb plastic/glass.
They can definitely climb plastic, and I would assume the same for glass although I don't keep mine in glass enclosures.I like to provide vertical bark which they tend to hide under, otherwise they shoot out the top when I open it!

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Very good climbers, but giving them something to hide under decreases the chance of escape attempts.