Afraid or just not hungry?

JumpingSimon

Arachnopeon
I recorded 40 minutes after I gave my jumper a wax mold worm. It acted kind of weird.
Can anyone tell me what it's all about?
Is she just not hungry or is the prey maybe too big for her? She clearly seems interested:

Stardust1986

Arachnoknight
I recorded 40 minutes after I gave my jumper a wax mold worm. It acted kind of weird.
Is she just not hungry or is the prey maybe too big for her? She clearly seems interested:
I watched your video,based on Ts, this is an assumption, but maybe it's just not hungry. Ts can go long amounts of time without food, a jumper is still a spider and I think the same rules apply, just keep offering food, she seems healthy

Nicole C G

Arachnoangel
She looks pretty well fed. I'd guess just not hungry enough to bother. They certainly take prey that big when they're hungry.
Looking at it again it does look pretty full. Don’t worry about it for now, offer it food tomorrow or the day after. Don’t worry if it goes a few weeks without eating. Most people say not to worry unless it hasn’t eaten for 3 weeks. Then you can try switching out the feeder type or stimulating appetite. There are multiple care websites that talk about what to do if they don’t eat for a while. So you can also look it up if you want to know more! 😊

JumpingSimon

Arachnopeon
She looks pretty well fed. I'd guess just not hungry enough to bother. They certainly take prey that big when they're hungry.
I watched your video,based on Ts, this is an assumption, but maybe it's just not hungry. Ts can go long amounts of time without food, a jumper is still a spider and I think the same rules apply, just keep offering food, she seems healthy
Looking at it again it does look pretty full. Don’t worry about it for now, offer it food tomorrow or the day after. Don’t worry if it goes a few weeks without eating. Most people say not to worry unless it hasn’t eaten for 3 weeks. Then you can try switching out the feeder type or stimulating appetite. There are multiple care websites that talk about what to do if they don’t eat for a while. So you can also look it up if you want to know more! 😊
Thanks you I also thought that the dealer might have giving her food on the day he shipped her. Also she was pooping shortly after arrival. Don’t most spiders poop short after a meal? :lol:

JumpingSimon

Arachnopeon
She accepted food when I offered the worm with tweezers :D Seems like she doesn’t like walking on the ground. Hopefully she will catch the food herself when the flies hatch. After all they are the type of prey that sits on the walls like herself ;)

Nicole C G

Arachnoangel
She accepted food when I offered the worm with tweezers :D Seems like she doesn’t like walking on the ground. Hopefully she will catch the food herself when the flies hatch. After all they are the type of prey that sits on the walls like herself ;)
Cool! It’s always fun to finally see your jumper eat!

Jumper

Arachnosquire

JumpingSimon,

I have to agree what the other members are mentioning.
It's abdomen looks full.
Offer prey in 2-3 days from now. If it is still isn't interested.
Place the enclosure by the window and offer it some sunlight to stimulate it's appetite, but do NOT place the enclosure in direct sunlight.

If it is still interested in prey, from my experience jumpers will search around their enclosure for a secure place to molt.

Hope this helps

-Jumper

JumpingSimon

Arachnopeon
JumpingSimon,

I have to agree what the other members are mentioning.
It's abdomen looks full.
Offer prey in 2-3 days from now. If it is still isn't interested.
Place the enclosure by the window and offer it some sunlight to stimulate it's appetite, but do NOT place the enclosure in direct sunlight.

If it is still interested in prey, from my experience jumpers will search around their enclosure for a secure place to molt.

Hope this helps

-Jumper
Tanks! And cool tip with the sunlight. I didn’t know that sunlight stimulates appetite.
She did however eat a wax worm yesterday. She still hasn’t made a hammock to sleep in. It seems like she prefers resting ind the open in different corners of the enclosure. She pretty much sits still in a corner from around 8-9-ish PM until morning. When she wakes up she is quite active but she rarely jumps. She just walk around in the top of the enclosure.
She is slowly getting used to me and doesn’t really fear me no more.
At some point I’m still a bit worried even though she ate. She didn’t catch the worm herself. I ended up giving it to her with tweezers. On the other hand she is quite active even though she doesn’t really jump. And then there is the fact that she hasn’t made a web to sleep in yet…
We only had her for 4 days so I’m guessing she could also still be getting used to her new home?

Jumper

Arachnosquire
Tanks! And cool tip with the sunlight. I didn’t know that sunlight stimulates appetite.
She did however eat a wax worm yesterday. She still hasn’t made a hammock to sleep in. It seems like she prefers resting ind the open in different corners of the enclosure. She pretty much sits still in a corner from around 8-9-ish PM until morning. When she wakes up she is quite active but she rarely jumps. She just walk around in the top of the enclosure.
She is slowly getting used to me and doesn’t really fear me no more.
At some point I’m still a bit worried even though she ate. She didn’t catch the worm herself. I ended up giving it to her with tweezers. On the other hand she is quite active even though she doesn’t really jump. And then there is the fact that she hasn’t made a web to sleep in yet…
We only had her for 4 days so I’m guessing she could also still be getting used to her new home?
JumpingSimon,

Don't worry about her making her hammock.
They usually make their hammock when it is somewhere safe.
Does she have a lot of ledges and crevices for her to view/hide in her enclosure?
If she is active in the morning, then it the best time to offer her prey.

Since you just got her, she is exploring her surroundings and getting acclimated it.
I remember somewhere reading online, if you plan handling your jumpers.
Makes sure it is in a positive experience.

-Jumper.

JumpingSimon

Arachnopeon
JumpingSimon,

Don't worry about her making her hammock.
They usually make their hammock when it is somewhere safe.
Does she have a lot of ledges and crevices for her to view/hide in her enclosure?
If she is active in the morning, then it the best time to offer her prey.

Since you just got her, she is exploring her surroundings and getting acclimated it.
I remember somewhere reading online, if you plan handling your jumpers.
Makes sure it is in a positive experience.

-Jumper.
Yes she does have a lot of places to hide and she is trying out a different corner from time to time. So my guess is, that she will build the hammock as soon as she finds her favourite place :)

Realregallover

Arachnopeon
Your jumper seems really healthy. The real question: is it wild caught? That could be a reason why it don't care about the food. You do see him/her seem to want it, but then went back to trying to find a way out. Jumpers are like cats when it comes to hunting.

JumpingSimon

Arachnopeon
Your jumper seems really healthy. The real question: is it wild caught? That could be a reason why it don't care about the food. You do see him/her seem to want it, but then went back to trying to find a way out. Jumpers are like cats when it comes to hunting.
No my guess is that it isn’t wild caught. We don’t have that big species here in Denmark. I bought it from an online Danish spider-pusher.

EDIT: I just looked for details on the webshop. It says that he breeds them. So no, it isn’t wild caught :)

Last edited: