Affordable modification of Screen lid ? Prevent claws sticking

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Screen lid claws can get stuck I want to make sure it cannot happen just got a amazing deal at goodwill but the screen lid is sliding , I also have a few normal lids that need to be clAw proofed . 15 long for $10 bucks mint new condition. ITs unused gotta prepare 4FDA9FBA-BEEE-4E5E-89B8-406879087B3F.jpeg the lid so it’s safe .
https://www.zillarules.com/all-products/terrariums/critter-cage

Last edited:

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Guess I need to post this in another section. ?? I used the search function no luck

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
A piece of glass cut to the right size work holes drilled for ventilation of the easiest and likely cheapest way.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
A piece of glass cut to the right size work holes drilled for ventilation of the easiest and likely cheapest way.
Do glass shops cut holes in it ? What will a 15 gal long lid cost $10? Plexiglas is not better ?

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Do glass shops cut holes in it ? What will a 15 gal long lid cost $10? Plexiglas is not better ?
Plexiglass will warp over time. Glass is better. . Glass stores will usually still holes for you, but it costs you for each hole they drill.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Plexiglass will warp over time. Glass is better. . Glass stores will usually still holes for you, but it costs you for each hole they drill.
Darn con men how hard is drilling your own holes do you need a diamond bit? May have to save more money before I can do the lid .

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Darn con men how hard is drilling your own holes do you need a diamond bit?
Diamond or carbide, 9.x+ hardness. And a drill press or the steadiest hand on the planet. And water or lubricant flooding. And a few square meters to test glass to get your technique down pat.
(You don't really drill glass. More like you grind holes perfectly circular and square to the surface.)
https://www.mcmaster.com/glass-cutting-drill-bits
Or find a company with this:

Last edited:

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Yes. And a drill press or the steadiest hand on the planet. And water or lubricant flooding. And a few square meters to test glass to get your technique down pat.
(You don't drill glass. You grind holes perfectly circular and square to the surface.)
I’ve still never had Lexan plexiglass bow , i’ve still never had Lexan plexiglass bow I got some pretty cheap at a glass shop last time I made a lid . I guess glass is cheaper though.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I’ve still never had Lexan plexiglass bow
Something people don't take into account. Polycarbonate is a lot like steel in how it's manufactured. There's a world of difference between 9xxx steel and the cold rolled stamped stuff cheaper modern car bodies are made from. Typically, higher grades of polycarbonates are much like steel in that they are more difficult to work with and have some very specific properties. Like steel, or glass, they range from soft and pliable up to extremely hard and brittle. Glass differs somewhat from steel or polycarbonates in it's extremely limited tensile do-not-exceed strength range.
See:
https://www.acplasticsinc.com/informationcenter/r/what-is-lexan
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polycarbonate

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Darn con men how hard is drilling your own holes do you need a diamond bit? May have to save more money before I can do the lid .
Glass drilling is possible, but it's not easy. For info look up aquarium forums etc.

Feral

Arachnobaron
Glass drilling is possible, but it's not easy. For info look up aquarium forums etc.
Exactly. Drilling one hole in an aquarium for a bulkhead is no fun, I wouldn't want to do a whole bunch of little air holes in glass. But that's me. Drilling acrylic is much easier and less time consuming. Plenty of how-tos on it. Hey, I think @EulersK had a YouTube video on it. Still not my idea of fun, but def much better. But if you're up for the glass challenge, viper69 is right, the aquarium people with fish rooms def know how to drill baby drill!

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Exactly. Drilling one hole in an aquarium for a bulkhead is no fun, I wouldn't want to do a whole bunch of little air holes in glass. But that's me. Drilling acrylic is much easier and less time consuming. Plenty of how-tos on it. Hey, I think @EulersK had a YouTube video on it. Still not my idea of fun, but def much better. But if you're up for the glass challenge, viper69 is right, the aquarium people with fish rooms def know how to drill baby drill!
I’ve never had thick Lexan plexiglass warp I might go with that . Now to measure which size of thickness I used previously. I still use a pilot hole so I don’t crack the plexiglass!!

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Screenshot_20191107-071949_Samsung Internet.jpg Screenshot_20191107-071925_Samsung Internet.jpg

Perforated metal sheets!
This is what i used when building terrariums. They are likely to be appropriate on any type of enclosure. I bought them from companies that sold ventilation stuff or from companies that worked with metal. They comes in diffrent types, whete the holes are of diffrent size, and more or less close to each other. Ideally you want a plate where the holes are as close as possible. I just decided the measurments and they cutted them for me. Very easy to glue to the enclosure

Last edited:

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
View attachment 324937 View attachment 324938

Perforated metal sheets!
This is what i used when building terrariums. They are likely to be appropriate on any type of enclosure. I bought them from companies that sold ventilation stuff or from companies that worked with metal. They comes in diffrent types, whete the holes are of diffrent size, and more or less close to each other. Ideally you want a plate where the holes are as close as possible. I just decided the measurments and they cutted them for me. Very easy to glue to the enclosure
Good idea for later on I used Saranwrap now I’m trying to dedice to poke holes in with a needle or something easier. ??
What’s quicker way to poke hole in Saran ??? 0BEC7EF9-4FCB-45C8-AD7D-19406702A59C.jpeg ECF94AEE-D8C9-4769-B8FF-43FB7EC6506A.jpeg

This is broke method so there claws cannot get stuck in metal hole caging ??nice!!! Never thought of it

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Good idea for later on I used Saranwrap now I’m trying to dedice to poke holes in with a needle or something easier. ??
What’s quicker way to poke hole in Saran ??? View attachment 326583 View attachment 326584

This is broke method so there claws cannot get stuck in metal hole caging ??nice!!! Never thought of it
If the mesh is still there then the tarantula's claws can still get stuck.