AF p.metallica post pairing behavior

Christian Jocson

Arachnopeon
I've had a pair of adult metallicas living together for roughly a month now and removed the male yesterday back into his enclosure. I've never seen the two do the deed, but in the early morning I would hear a lot of drumming. The first and only time I've seen evidence of a sperm web was in the females enclosure a week ago, and I removed him because as of recently I haven't heard any drumming.

This morning I woke up to her sealed inside the cork that she never uses. She obviously couldn't be gravid already, and her last molt was only 2-3 months ago. So ruling out that she is in premolt, could this be a sign that insemination was successful?

I've heard that p.metallicas often will not produce a sac or will get stressed if a male is present. How do you know if you should reintroduce a male again for another attempt or just leave her alone?

Ps. I understand that some hobbyists do not agree with leaving pairs in communal set ups for any period of time, but all T's are alive, well and to my knowledge haven't shown any aggression towards each other. That being said, any input is greatly appreciated.

Pictured below is her sealed off in the cork.

Attachments

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
id take that as a good sign. and yeah, i dont think leaving a MM in for more than a day is a good idea. potential waste of a male.

cold blood

Staff member
"She obviously couldn't be gravid already..."

Sure she could. She probably had what she needed the first night....since she did this right off when the male was removed, to me its an indicator that his presence was likely disruptive to her, now that home life has calmed down, she's going to chill for a while.

It sounds quite promising, I hope the sac is a large one.

Tanner Dzula

Arachnoknight
i don't know much as far as pokie breeding specifically but from what i DO know, it sounds promising.

if you do get a good sized sac, id love to purchase some fresh slings from you!

Christian Jocson

Arachnopeon
"She obviously couldn't be gravid already..."

Sure she could. She probably had what she needed the first night....since she did this right off when the male was removed, to me its an indicator that his presence was likely disruptive to her, now that home life has calmed down, she's going to chill for a while.

It sounds quite promising, I hope the sac is a large one.
Hmm good point.

Also, just learned that I've been using the term 'gravid' incorrectly. I thought it only pertained to female T's who have bulked up from producing eggs inside the abdomen.

I'm crossing my fingers as well :)

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
I wouldn't delve into that, its most likely nothing. You're in for a long wait, metallica take their time ^^

Abyss

Arachnoknight
Best of luck!!!!!
Im undergoing it soon i think!!!
I have a MM lined up and am debating shooting for it now or trying to hold off till she moults again.
She just ate a large cricket last nite so she snotnin premoult yet lol

cold blood

Staff member
To me waiting till its in pre-molt is just asking to have it molt out. I'd feed it hard for 45-60 days and then pair. Like mentioned, it could take a long time, you don't want to pair close to a molt like you can with some species IMO.