advise on my next tarantula

kush

Arachnopeon
i need another tarantula.i have a rose hair that is super chill,but i really want a tarantula that is docile calm with a big appitite that loves to hunt.my rose hair is great its just i hate because she never eats.

Vespula

Arachnodemon
How about something in the genus Brachypelma? My B. vagans is a hearty eater, and is fascinating!

Arachnos

Arachnopeon
I am not sure how much you want to spend but my suggestion is a cousin to your rosie. Grammostola pulchripes/aureostriata (Chaco Golden Knee). They are moderately fast growers, super fast compared to the G. rosea and they have a great appetite. Mine has never refused a meal. They will get a bit bigger as well reaching up to a 8.5″ legspan. It is just like your rosie just all buffed up and lacking the 'pet rock' ability, with better coloration. Even better they have basically the same requirements. Sold yet? :clap:

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Okay, I'll bite- and repeat it once more after 119,000,000,000,000,220 similar replies to this near exact same inquiry posted many times on this board- Acanthoscurria geniculata! You can't go wrong, there. ;)

Arachnos

Arachnopeon
Okay, I'll bite- and repeat it once more after 119,000,000,000,000,220 similar replies to this near exact same inquiry posted many times on this board- Acanthoscurria geniculata! You can't go wrong, there. ;)
Yet the OP stated they wanted a docile species? My Acanthoscurria geniculata is nothing of the sort. A. geniculata are generally considered semi aggressive, skittish or nervous species. It depends on the personality of the one you get but having one and a G. pulchripes I would say the later is much more docile.
I guess it is up to the OP and they are both trash compactors of considerable degree. +1 to either I guess.

Last edited:

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I am not sure how much you want to spend but my suggestion is a cousin to your rosie. Grammostola pulchripes/aureostriata (Chaco Golden Knee). They are moderately fast growers, super fast compared to the G. rosea and they have a great appetite. Mine has never refused a meal. They will get a bit bigger as well reaching up to a 8.5″ legspan. It is just like your rosie just all buffed up and lacking the 'pet rock' ability, with better coloration. Even better they have basically the same requirements. Sold yet? :clap:
+1,000,000. Mine are great.

Spidershane1

Arachnoknight
Hey that reptile store I told you about in your other post has B. Smithi(Mexican red knee) slings for sale. I think that would be a pretty good way to go. Again, its @ durango/smoke ranch.

shanebp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I second the Brachypelma genus.. also, I would suggest having a look at a Lasiadora Parahybana (too lazy to checking spelling). They get big, grow fast, and eat like champs. Definitely worth taking a look at.

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i wonder if the OP knows anything about urticating hairs and how he or she feels about them? all five of my Brachpelma spp. were rather skiddish at first, and quite kicky, and still readly kick if extremely annoyed or suddenly startled. i wouldn't necissarily call that "chill" although they seem to be chilling out as they grow in size, my evil B. vagans included.

L. parahybana seems to fit this criteria as well, but again with hairs. they are great eaters though. i don't think mine has refused feeding once and grows exponentially each moult.

the G. pulchripes seems to be a more sound choice, from my experiences. mine ate great and was never a kicker. however, mine is kind of also pet rockish after eating heartily... just not as bad as a G. rosea. it has only bolted out once, and has been the only one of seventeen to do so... we got that situation figured out eventually. never underestimate their speed! even the most docile and "slow" NW terrestrials can move fast.

kush

Arachnopeon
thanks everybody.i hope they have it though,if not i might just get an obt .i read that there aggresive but they have some for only 24 bucks . Thats dirt cheap for such a great tarantula.whatever my choice is i know im gonna be happy.i cant believe i spent 21 years of my life without knowing how great tarantulas are. Im gonna pass having a tarantula as a pet to my kids and there kids lol.way better then dogs

Suidakkra

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
thanks everybody.i hope they have it though,if not i might just get an obt .i read that there aggresive but they have some for only 24 bucks . Thats dirt cheap for such a great tarantula.whatever my choice is i know im gonna be happy.i cant believe i spent 21 years of my life without knowing how great tarantulas are. Im gonna pass having a tarantula as a pet to my kids and there kids lol.way better then dogs
Ay, not trying to tell you what to do, but jumping from a Rosie to a OBT is rather steep. My OBT is one evil son of a [censored], and I got him/her after I stepped up from rather aggressive Lasiodora difficilis and a P.irminia. All T's have different demeanour to them, but the biggest majority of OBT's on Youtube, forums, and other readings are highly aggressive.

If you feel comfortable with an extremely fast, extremely pissed off tarantula, then do what you think is right. Research the Pterinochilus genus and learn as much as you can before jumping into a purchase...

Im not trying to deter you , just inform, every collection must have a OBT in my opinion, but as a second Tarantula, eh.

Last edited:

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My emilia sling (1.5" or so) is an eating machine! Same with my pulchra juvies (2"). They will chase and tumble after crickets all day except in premolt. They're also kind of humerous before their premolt fast because their hunting ability seems to degrade. They chase but struggle to catch their crickets, missing several times before finally making the kill, much to my amusement :D

Lps are great too, mine is a tenacious hunter though she's skittish and defensive IN her home container. Outside of it, she's skittish but doesn't bite/kick.

Spike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
1 vote b.albopilosum very underrated T. Little bulldozers that love to eat.

Johnny1320

Arachnopeon
GBB? Keep the rosie as your "handler" and the gbb as a step up? Our slings seem active and web.