Advice?!?!

tmanjim

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
OK, here is my situation. I have 15 T's at home. I discussed with my wife a while ago that 10 was the limit, then 12, then 13 and well you know where this is going. My b-day is this weekend and so is the swap in Wheaton Il. I am thinking about a female P. Cambridgei or P. Cancerides and just bringing it home. She knows I am going to the swap for crickets and bird food. I can't just go for feeders, I NEED ANOTHER T. What should I do???????? The addiction has definitely got me.

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You need to reach the point where you have so many Ts, your spouse can't tell when you get a new one. Once you're there, you're golden :) .

ScorpionFanatic

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hope your wife is ok with the addiction you have and buy another. i have no wife, Girlfriend, or significant other at this time and even if I did, she would have no choice but to get over it and accept the fact that T's are an intricate part of my life and have been for quite some time. 15+ years at least. Otherwise, you told her 10 so no more, but the addict in me says otherwise.

BurrowDweller

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
When I got back ino the hobby my wife said I could get ONE T. So I ordered 2 A. chalcodes because it was a good deal. She was a little hesitant but was OK with it. A few months later I got a nice big female B. smithi, and she was still OK with it. The Ts ended up living in her office as it was the warmest room and she started watching them more than I did. Next thing you know she is telling me which ones I should get next! Next thing you know I am getting Ts in multiples of ten, have 4 roach colonies going, a few scorps and an entire room devoted to bugs.

Give her time, she will too will turn to the dark side{D

Honestly though, do what you told her you are going to do. It might take a while but eventually she will most likely let you get a few more Ts.

ErikH

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My advice would be to buy a little something for her first, then buy the T. while she is in a good mood. That way you'll get what you want without a fight. Worked with my wife, anyway. I just put up a fuss about something she wanted(all an act), broke down and got it for her, and then getting my next one was no problem.

pinkzebra

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This is what I do with my husband - I just go and get another one. If he has something to say about it, well I have ALOT of things I can say something about that I save up until that moment. That usually shuts him up right quick. Although he is now at the point where he usually just sighs or rolls his eyes. It's really my only "fault" :D so I figure he can deal with it. And he does, he really is quite a good sport about it.

Of course, he has NO idea how much they all cost. Rosie's are $15, so he thinks they all are. I have chosen not to enlighten him. ;)

Good luck, however you choose to handle it.

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Pitch the idea that you were " saving a T ". tell her that the pet store had no idea how to care for a T, and that you took it, to free it from a life of misery, and an early death.

You could even go as far as telling her you should be canonized as the Patron Saint of Spiders :)

Whoever said honesty is the best policy is single !

tmanjim

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Excellent advice all around. I need to say something because now I am looking at a M. Robustum. I CAN'T STOP AND I AM LOVIN IT.

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
thats a good one lol {D :clap: :worship: i must try that one next time ;) ;) :rolleyes: keep it a secret:8o :8o -- phil

ErikH

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
"It followed me home, can I keep it?" Doesn't work in the Chicagoland area! ;)

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You need to reach the point where you have so many Ts, your spouse can't tell when you get a new one. Once you're there, you're golden :) .
That's where I'm at. I have enough slings that I change cages as they grow and that helps make it more confusing as to how many I have.

T-chick

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
WOW this post could have been made by me.
I have 11, and the bf thinks I only have 7. SO how do I tell him??
Luckily one is a sling and one is a juvie...
Sigh.. we are all sooo addicted.

ronin

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Addiction really has set in. I started w/my first one on 12/23/06 & now have 12. I think I'll have to start sneaking the next Ts in & follow some advice above before I tell the wife. :)

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i guess im insanely lucky. my significant other had almost as many T's and reptiles as i did when we got together. now whenever she or i bring something new home the other gets just as excited! :D

x-fan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Addiction really has set in. I started w/my first one on 12/23/06 & now have 12. I think I'll have to start sneaking the next Ts in & follow some advice above before I tell the wife. :)
hehehehe, that was quick :))) 12 tarantulas in about 2 months, well done :clap:
i'm in tarantulas, and tarantulas are in me so ... if someone loves me there should be no problem loving me with just one or one million :)))

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I don't have to many problems. My husband got my first T for me as a gift, so I just remind him that my addiction is his fault.
He occasionally starts in on saying that we can't get anymore and we don't have space,....... the last time he started that, we were on our way to the all pet show in Wheaton, and we came home with a versi sling that HE just had to have. He claimed," She waved her pedipalps at me, she is just so cute!!! I couldn't just LEAVE her there!!!!"

tmanjim

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
OH BOY, what did I do. Just got home from the swap. UH OH. Not only did I get the Cambridgei, but, a female B. Emilia for $40.00. how could I say no. I will let you know if I survive.

stk5m

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
what i did was i got a cute a. versi and had it out all the time. eventually my girl warmed up to the idea of a t as a pet and now she's the one that gets out the avics that I own.{D {D

tmanjim

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Well she didn't kill me. Matter of fact, she loves the Cambridgei. Also with the female B. Emilia, I now have a breeding pair. This could get crazy!!!!!!. I will try to get some pics of the new ones as soon as they settle in to the new enclosures.