Advice please - busted carapace - I think.

Matabuey

Arachnosquire
So, I rehoused my Orphnaecus sp blue Panay today.

She moulted maybe 3-6 weeks ago, honestly I can't remember exactly lol. Sorry.

But when rehousing her today I noticed her carapace is split like this.

There was no blood coming from it at all, not even a single drop. Nothing in that container I had her in.

She started to web that container also, then within 1 minute of being in her new enclosure she started to web up the starter burrow I made her.

She fed for me yesterday.

Any thoughts?

No I didn't injure her during transfer, it went really well, she didn't run off or anything. Just straight into the cup.

https://imgur.com/a/kO9Bc

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Firstly, thank you for not only providing pictures, but for providing amazing pictures.

It looks like a mild cyst to me. You're certain that it wasn't there before the molt? If it wasn't there before, then it could just be an injury from the molting process. Either way, be sure to have a full, clean water dish at absolutely all times. Wounds can dehydrate any creature very quickly.

It's a great sign that she's eating. Not much you can do other than observe. Please keep us updated. There is a cyst info gathering thread in the Questions subforum (it's a sticky, towards the top). Compare pictures in there, and possibly upload your own.

Matabuey

Arachnosquire
I don't see much there.. just looks like a discolored spot.
How? Lol. Can you not see the hole?

I don't know, i don't know much about tarantulas, but that doesn't look normal to me.

Firstly, thank you for not only providing pictures, but for providing amazing pictures.

It looks like a mild cyst to me. You're certain that it wasn't there before the molt? If it wasn't there before, then it could just be an injury from the molting process. Either way, be sure to have a full, clean water dish at absolutely all times. Wounds can dehydrate any creature very quickly.

It's a great sign that she's eating. Not much you can do other than observe. Please keep us updated. There is a cyst info gathering thread in the Questions subforum (it's a sticky, towards the top). Compare pictures in there, and possibly upload your own.
Hey,

Um, i have no idea if it was there before the moult or not, because i rarely ever see her, and this is the first time I've rehoused her.

If she's feeding etc, nothing for me to be concerned about is there? As there isn't really much medical help you can give a tarantula - so I'm lead to believe.

Here is another picture: http://imgur.com/a/dzxTR

See what i mean, it looks like it's split apart, or maybe it seems that way as that part is usually black? No idea haha.

Thanks though, will have a look at that thread.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
How? Lol. Can you not see the hole?

I don't know, i don't know much about tarantulas, but that doesn't look normal to me.

Hey,

Um, i have no idea if it was there before the moult or not, because i rarely ever see her, and this is the first time I've rehoused her.

If she's feeding etc, nothing for me to be concerned about is there? As there isn't really much medical help you can give a tarantula - so I'm lead to believe.

Here is another picture: http://imgur.com/a/dzxTR

See what i mean, it looks like it's split apart, or maybe it seems that way as that part is usually black? No idea haha.

Thanks though, will have a look at that thread.
It definitely looks like a cyst to me. No, there's nothing you can do other than always have clean drinking water, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't worry. Keep an eye on her, dehydration is a very real concern with an injury like this.

Matabuey

Arachnosquire
It definitely looks like a cyst to me. No, there's nothing you can do other than always have clean drinking water, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't worry. Keep an eye on her, dehydration is a very real concern with an injury like this.
Should i maybe offer more food than usual? To get more fluids into her/him. Or is just making sure the water is fresh, good enough?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Should i maybe offer more food than usual? To get more fluids into her/him. Or is just making sure the water is fresh, good enough?

You don't want to push it towards obesity, but I'd feed a little heavier, yeah. We want it to molt as quickly as possible so it can try to heal. With the summer upon us, that shouldn't be too hard.

Matabuey

Arachnosquire
You don't want to push it towards obesity, but I'd feed a little heavier, yeah. We want it to molt as quickly as possible so it can try to heal. With the summer upon us, that shouldn't be too hard.
Excuse my ignorance, again I'm pretty new to this overall.

But isn't it pretty much impossible to make a growing tarantula obese? As s/he still has about another inch to go. Around 3inches right now.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Excuse my ignorance, again I'm pretty new to this overall.

But isn't it pretty much impossible to make a growing tarantula obese? As s/he still has about another inch to go. Around 3inches right now.
No need to excuse for wanting to learn!

They don't suffer from the perils of obesity in the same way mammals do (heart failure, for instance). Rather, they can suffer from a ruptured abdomen much easier. Personally, this happened to me on a B. albopilosum:

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/cyst.283830/

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I would agree with cyst but It could be an injury from post moult movements. There are some spikey points on that wood hide and maybe it climbed to do some yoga after a moult while still soft and maybe torn some of the new exo. This has happened to me once before and looked quite similar. I just try to minimalize sharp objects. My Ts seem to love climbing onto something for a stretch after a moult.

It may not be. Just a theory

Matabuey

Arachnosquire
I would agree with cyst but It could be an injury from post moult movements. There are some spikey points on that wood hide and maybe it climbed to do some yoga after a moult while still soft and maybe torn some of the new exo. This has happened to me once before and looked quite similar. I just try to minimalize sharp objects. My Ts seem to love climbing onto something for a stretch after a moult.

It may not be. Just a theory
Nah mate, i just moved the spider to that new enclosure today :)

Point taken though, will take off some of the pointy bits.

TarantulasWorld

Arachnosquire
I dont think its split open. If there is no fluid leaking and she is webbing up a storm u should be fine

Matabuey

Arachnosquire
I dont think its split open. If there is no fluid leaking and she is webbing up a storm u should be fine
http://imgur.com/a/dzxTR

In this pic if you zoom into that area, it looks like a split. But maybe a cyst is making it look like that.

Yeah she's practically full webbed herself in today in her new burrow. So I guess she's not feeling too bad. Fingers crossed it's nothing major anyway.

By the way, not sure if you're (or anyone else reading this) familiar with this sp or not. Wouldn't it have already matured as a male by now (if it was a male)? As its 3+ inches. Which is why I believe it's a female.