Advice on finding land planarians

schmiggle

Arachnoking
I'm in southern Chile, and I think I generally have a pretty good shot, because I'm surrounded by clean woods and it's been raining; however, I have no idea what I'm doing. Should I be turning over logs and rocks, looking on the ground, or what? What time of day should I look--does it matter? Any advice is appreciated.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
I found one under a thick layer of wood chips in a garden. Whether that translates into finding more under rotting logs in the wild I can't say.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Worst comes to worst you can try under a wet log at night.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Southern Chile?? Try to find native onicofora over there!!
You're a bit late, I was there for a week in December. Thanks for pointing out that they're there, though. I'd really like to go back to southern Chile eventually, maybe on a somewhat regular basis (it's a really cool place), and I'll have to look out for these next time I'm there.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
You're a bit late, I was there for a week in December. Thanks for pointing out that they're there, though. I'd really like to go back to southern Chile eventually, maybe on a somewhat regular basis (it's a really cool place), and I'll have to look out for these next time I'm there.
You mean you already weren't rolling over every stone and rotting log in sight??

Thanks,

Arthroverts

schmiggle

Arachnoking
You mean you already weren't rolling over every stone and rotting log in sight??

Thanks,

Arthroverts
I did lol. It was a family trip, and there was only a small area of woods that was accessible without a car or a machete. I didn't have time to flip over every log and rock in sight when we were all hiking. But don't doubt that I wanted to! The Valdivian forests are probably the most poorly studied temperate rainforest, and I've gotta get back one of these days. Machete could be handy for the dense colihue understory--6' bamboo that's dense enough to completely prevent walking through. At least, I couldn't get it to work.