Advice on feeders for T's

mcdeez

Arachnopeon
I know this has probably been discussed before but I am tired of using crickets. What would be the best feeder roach to use and are there any roaches that are born small enough to feed to the smaller 1/4-1/2 tarantulas.

Bulldog08

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My T's love B.dubia. I feed them to my small ones too. I don't use crickets any more.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I know this has probably been discussed before but I am tired of using crickets. What would be the best feeder roach to use and are there any roaches that are born small enough to feed to the smaller 1/4-1/2 tarantulas.
B. lateralis are born pretty small, but also have the possiblility to infest.

Right now, my main feeders are lobsters and they work great. I have some spiders that are one half inch or so and the freshborns work perfectly.

For the 1/4 inch spiders, I'd simply cut them in half. Tarantulas will take prekilled food.

They do climb, so vasoline will be needed to keep them in check. They tend to stay on whatever surface they're introduced to for a couple minutes at least before heading to the ground.

If you don't want them to climb, then just tear off the tarsi.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I use lobster roaches. Discoids reproduce so slowly that I could wipe my entire colony out in 1 or 2 feedings. Lobsters on the other hand reproduce very fast.

vtecgsr

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I didnt like using b. dubia (orange head) roaches cause those suckers always burrowed before being spotted by the t... I wish i could find someone online that sold feeder beatles.

Bulldog08

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I just pinch the heat of the b.dubia a bit or pull the legs off them. My T's dont seem to mind and it keeps them from digging.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I just pinch the heat of the b.dubia a bit or pull the legs off them. My T's dont seem to mind and it keeps them from digging.
Exactly, With the babies and the adult dubia I just crush the head. This keeps them from playing dead and burrowing. They twitch a lot to when you do this so it get the Ts attention. Its a good simple meal.