Advice on enclosure for G. pulchripes?

Flutterbat

Arachnopeon
Hello! I am just getting my first T (G. pulchripes) and I am going to be working on an enclosure. I want to get a juvenile and honestly am not sure what all of the requirements are! How do I keep the temperature right? What should the floors be made of? I have so many questions.

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
Hello! I am just getting my first T (G. pulchripes) and I am going to be working on an enclosure. I want to get a juvenile and honestly am not sure what all of the requirements are! How do I keep the temperature right? What should the floors be made of? I have so many questions.
Hi @Jamie Moore ,

If you are getting a sling I suggest using AMAC plastic boxes. Getting a large specimen I suggest a 5 gallon tank for when they are full grown. Coco fiber works great. I personally use sphagnum moss that can be found at most hardware stores. IF going that route I suggest performing the cricket test. The cricket test is simply placing crickets with the substrate for a few days to see if they survive. If they die, you got bad sub. Temperature is pretty easy. If you are comfortable with the temperature in the room you are keeping the spider, so is your spider.

Any other questions?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Room temperature of 70-75 is fine, no need for extra heating like Gypsy wrote, until the winter comes perhaps. Some people do that space heaters, do not use heat lamps or under the tank heaters you see for reptiles, your T will die if used.

Floors?

@gypsy cola G. pulchripes get a nice size, a 5 gallon tank is too small in my opinion. I would give them a 10 gallon sized container, be it Sterilite or something else

Andy00

Arachnoknight
Do you live near a container store? That's usually where I get my enclosures from. They have nice shoe box containers that are crystal clear and just need more ventilation holes and maybe a better locking mechanism. For my b albopilosum I got one of those and melted holes through with a soldering iron, and then made a locking mechanism out of magnets. There's also storage bins that work great for juveniles-adults. Also, look into Really Useful Boxes. Many hobbyists use boxes from Really Useful Boxes because they come in many sizes, look nice, are easy to work with, stackable, and relatively cheap

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
Room temperature of 70-75 is fine, no need for extra heating like Gypsy wrote, until the winter comes perhaps. Some people do that space heaters, do not use heat lamps or under the tank heaters you see for reptiles, your T will die if used.

Floors?

@gypsy cola G. pulchripes get a nice size, a 5 gallon tank is too small in my opinion. I would give them a 10 gallon sized container, be it Sterilite or something else
I forget that I have never dealt with a full frown G.pulchripes yet. Kind of nervous actually because mine is a jerk. Every G.pulchripes I have had, sold off before they became adults.