Advice on A. Versi slings

newspidermom

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
As you may know I'm going to be getting 6 versi slings from Exotipet. They are smaller than a dime! I'm pretty nervous about these guys cause I've heard thay have a high mortality rate. I PM'd Jon3800 and unfortunately he hasn't had good luck with them either. I'm reaching out to anyone who thinks they have a trick up their sleeve to raising these versis. I thought of setting them up in a humidor-like setting. Small sling jars would be put in larger container. I would raise the sling jars off bottom slightly so I could add water to bottom of large container and apply the heat source from underneath. No lid on large container to ensure better ventilation. Any other tried and true set-ups is what I'm looking for.

Armstrong5

Arachnosquire
I would just try to keep them in small pill bottles..use coco fiber thats moist and put a small piece of fake plant or something for it to attach its web to and it should be fine.All mine seem to be doing fine like that I havent experienced any deaths. Good Luck!

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
I raised a few in vials with small holes. It works. I think giving them a larger volume of air along with good ventilation simulates thier natural habitat more correctly. Just my 2 cents. I use 4"x4" tupper ware cubes with holes around the sides at the top. There is alot of debate weather or not it helps. I dont think its a cure, but it cant hurt to give them better air flow as long as the humidity is fair.

BTW the ones I had die always showed similar symptoms: Not eating, couldnt climb and very lethargic. Reminded me of when a MM dies of old age.. Good luck with your new A. versicolors.

newspidermom

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I was told ventilation at this size is more important than humidity. The containers I have are about 2 x 4. I was also told not to use any substrate at this point. Just a dry tissue hollowed out in bottom so they can hide and a damp tissue at the top making sure to change it out often. I want to try and use sterile gauze and change that out. I think the cleaner it is the better until they are a little bigger. Hopefully with luck they will become much bigger...lol

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
The ventilation issue has been over emphasized. Too much ventilation is detrimental and it low ventilation is not the main killer of Avicularia slings. You need to have clean surfaces for water droplets to stick When you mist the enclosures of slings and you need to make sure they are drinking as they can dry out quickly. Keep the humidity high and mold growth low.

Provide their water through misting and you should be fine.

Last edited:

crawltech

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have been takin care of 220 versi slings latley....and havnt lost one....JC pretty much hit the nail on the head, when it comes to to ventialtion, and moisture....peolple seem to over "water" them...the key is to slightly moisten, then let dry before re-moistening...and enough ventilation to avoid stagnet air, but not to much that it drys out overnight....you gotta find that happy medium.They are not that hard to raise up from slings, jus gotta pay a little more attention to their micro habitat.Also, i wouldnt try and over feed them either...as slings, maybe a small/pinhead cric (or dubia nimf for you lucky ones that are alowed to have them;)) once a week, or every 5 days....they may only eat 2-4 samll crix between molts as slings, if that, and thats no biggie.Anyways, good luck wit yours, im sure they will do jus fine!

The Spider Faery

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I use plastic spice jars for arboreal slings. You can create cross ventilation (which is important) by melting pin sized holes (or small nail sized holes for bigger slings) in several rows around the circumference (I heat the pin or nail head in a candle flame). Then you can mist with water at least one side of the jar every day without worries of stagnancy.