Advice needed, urgent

magicmed

Arachnobaron
20160905_125358.jpg

No not the foreigner song, apparently my A. Hentzi decided to go bulldozer last night. Completely filled it's water dish and apparently felt the need to burrow under said waterdish.

Now I'm worried I'll have a collapse and a dead spider, but I'm assuming he is premolt or he wouldn't have felt the need to dig quite so much, so the question is do I leave him be and risk the collapse, or remove the waterdish and relocate it?

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Is it a glass/ceramic dish? or light weight plastic?
I would leave it if its light weight its obviously empty by now and only the damp dirt in it.

magicmed

Arachnobaron
It's a plastic 2 oz portion cup, very light weight, was just worried about the damp substrate in it being heavy

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
He may not even be in premolt, I've noticed Aphonopelma sp. to bulldoze quite the complex tunnels just because.
20160829_223618.jpg 20160829_223758.jpg

You could go either way. Leave him be or remove him and redo his sub but this time adding a long piece of cork bark or slate wedged from wall to wall (diagonally from top to bottom) to prevent collapsing and added sub stability. Even if he is near a molt, if you are careful in digging him up and give him adequate cover near his starter burrow after his enclosure is redone he will be fine.

magicmed

Arachnobaron
He may not even be in premolt, I've noticed Aphonopelma sp. to bulldoze quite the complex tunnels just because.
View attachment 219580 View attachment 219581

You could go either way. Leave him be or remove him and redo his sub but this time adding a long piece of cork bark or slate wedged from wall to wall (diagonally from top to bottom) to prevent collapsing and added sub stability. Even if he is near a molt, if you are careful in digging him up and give him adequate cover near his starter burrow after his enclosure is redone he will be fine.
Wow very cool little tunnel yours has made himself there! :) thank you guys for your input. If the sub in the dish dries out really quick I'll just add another waterdish on the topside, apparently he really wanted to dig there, so I'll let him as long as there's no mold or anything from the moisture

DragonizedGlory

Arachnosquire
I also think you should leave it. Your T will probably secure it with some webbing too. My LP did this with a log. The mat she made underneath was quite thick. I cleaned the cage. Never did it again. She dug under the log again though.

cold blood

Staff member
My advise is to do....nothing. I see no issue, ts constantly burrow under things, its not something I worry about ever.

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I also think you should leave it. Your T will probably secure it with some webbing too. My LP did this with a log. The mat she made underneath was quite thick. I cleaned the cage. Never did it again. She dug under the log again though.
Offtopic: Nice avatar! Did you draw that yourself?

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Coming to this party late, but my A. seemani digs burrows that connect to her log hide. If my camera on this phone took better pics I'd show you. They're amazing. Don't worry, just let her be. They can did really fast.