Advice for first T.

newscorpionowner

Arachnopeon
Not a surefire answer for that - a female is considered mature once her spermathecae sclerotize and she can viably breed/produce an egg sac. This happens usually when the T is 3/4ths their full size; G. pulchra can get 6-7" IIRC, so I'd say a female is mature right around the 5" mark. Depending on a few factors that affect growth rates and individual variation, I'd expect a female to be mature as soon as 5 years to as late as 10. I'm sure someone on here though can tell you how long it took for theirs to mature and give you an answer from experience.
Makes sense. lol

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Sorry for the blonde moment i had. I know the easiest difference between new world and old worlds, new worlds are from the western world like north and south america, while old worlds come from the eastern such as Asia. Long story short.. thank god i dont make maps for a living lol. I was thinking Brazil was somewhere else. Thats why i was thinking they were old world.
Nah, it's way less complicated than that. New Worlds are from the Americas. All the rest is Old World. :smug:

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
Just did another internet search (G pulchra size) and most sites list at least 6-7". Some say 8. The interwebz are wrong like I mentioned yesterday.
This has been a popular assumption lately....not sure why people suddenly think pulchra get that big. Theyre not a 7" t.....more like 5-6".

cold blood

Staff member
Just did another internet search (G pulchra size) and most sites list at least 6-7". Some say 8. The interwebz are wrong like I mentioned yesterday.
That same search would yield 10+" LPs around every corner.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
This has been a popular assumption lately....not sure why people suddenly think pulchra get that big. Theyre not a 7" t.....more like 5-6".
My bad, I have a long ways to go before I get to see that for myself. :shifty::rofl:

I wonder if the reason that info is so widespread is if people got mixed up with G. pulchripes. Those DO push 7", don't they?

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I wonder if the reason that info is so widespread is if people got mixed up with G. pulchripes.
Bigger Ts = more marketable Ts.

Early on, I read that G. pulchras get up to 8 inches. My second T was a G. pulchra. You know what his legspan was when he matured? 4.75" DLS. Sure, females probably get bigger, but temper your expectations.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Bigger Ts = more marketable Ts.

Early on, I read that G. pulchras get up to 8 inches. My second T was a G. pulchra. You know what his legspan was when he matured? 4.75" DLS. Sure, females probably get bigger, but temper your expectations.
That's true as well, but it's not like LPs where their touted size are their selling point - G. pulchra is a great T, whether it gets 7 inches, 6, or only 5. Just personally find it interesting when there's widespread misinformation about specific species like this particular situation.

Also I definitely wouldn't base my expectations for the size of a female based on the male's maturation size regardless, as a lot of males in many species are just downright shrimpy when compared to their female counterparts. But no worries, my expectations are indeed tempered. ;)

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Maybe G.pulchra gets so overestimated in size because the adults are so bulky.
I've always heard that they can reach 7" and, while I am not denying someone, somewhere, might have had a 7" female, the largest female that I have ever seen was between 5.5"-6".
I think that you're right in that their bulk might throw people off.
I will never, ever, in my life understand why a 5" tarantula is not impressive enough for people. Good grief, it's a spider... who is 5 inches! You're living with a 5 inch spider! How is that not impressive?

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I've always heard that they can reach 7" and, while I am not denying someone, somewhere, might have had a 7" female, the largest female that I have ever seen was between 5.5"-6".
I will never, ever, in my life understand why a 5" tarantula is not impressive enough for people. Good grief, it's a spider... who is 5 inches! You're living with a 5 inch spider! How is that not impressive?
I guess size does matter after all :rofl:

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
Honestly I'm the exact opposite. I got both my puchra and pulchripes and have been told they could reach the 8"+ mark. Looking at my pulchripes at 4-5" and trying to imagine it nearly double the size is kinda intimidating. Not that it would bother me that much, it would be something to get used to.The pulcripes last molt was just shy of 4" and it a bit larger now. Hearing from cold blood to shave an inch or 2 off makes me a little calmer lol :)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
A lot of information here! We really appreciate all of you helping. We still have lots of research to do and Im glad i came to the right place. AS for my selection, its funny you mentioned Boehmei my wife liked the look of these guys. New world vs old world? I have heard new worlds are slower, and not so feisty. T. albopilosum, G. pulchra, Green bottle blue and (maybe) A. chalcodes are the other species we were considering. Mainly based on look, i have no idea how they act or dont act.
Don't buy a T because of how it looks soley as you are a beginner. You must consider their temperament.

GBBs are great, hardy and quite fast, also they flick setae pretty readily. It's a nervous species. If you kill a GBB you should own a rock for your next "pet".

Get G. pulchripes

newscorpionowner

Arachnopeon
Don't buy a T because of how it looks soley as you are a beginner. You must consider their temperament.

GBBs are great, hardy and quite fast, also they flick setae pretty readily. It's a nervous species. If you kill a GBB you should own a rock for your next "pet".

Get G. pulchripes
yes, all of these things are being considered.