Advice for first T.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
A lot of information here! We really appreciate all of you helping. We still have lots of research to do and Im glad i came to the right place. AS for my selection, its funny you mentioned Boehmei my wife liked the look of these guys. New world vs old world? I have heard new worlds are slower, and not so feisty. T. albopilosum, G. pulchra, Green bottle blue and (maybe) A. chalcodes are the other species we were considering. Mainly based on look, i have no idea how they act or dont act.
Here's the thing...every individual tarantula has its own temperament. While some species may tend to behave a certain way as a group, it's not something you can count on for the individual. You will have some docile individuals from species that are known for defensiveness, and you will have some angry, defensive individuals from species that tend to be docile.

So, B. boehmei was my third tarantula, and IMO she is one of the absolute prettiest I have. She is a little quicker to kick hairs than some of my other specimens, but it's not a big deal as long as you keep your face out of the way and use tongs to do enclosure maintenance. As with all species, you may get one that is even more docile, or you may get a more feisty one. If your wife really likes the look of them (as I do) I wouldn't disqualify it right away.

newscorpionowner

Arachnopeon
Out of curiosity I read "Avics are not easy to keep and have very little leeway when it comes to husbandry errors" Avics would include the pink toe? The local pet store here has a small one and im sure they know very little about it. (just recently purchased a asian forest scorpion from this same location, because it didnt look like it had enough darkness or seemed lethargic) Id hate for it to die because of their lack of knowledge or care. (not to mention, theres a small female scorpion there now, in the same boat as the first. which almost made me impulsively buy her. But they would just get another to fill her spot.) the T is pretty small as well, so not really sure what to make of her. shes webbed up in the corner of her cage.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Out of curiosity I read "Avics are not easy to keep and have very little leeway when it comes to husbandry errors" Avics would include the pink toe?
Yes, although IMO adult A. avicularia is not a difficult species to keep. I think the slings are a bit more fragile, and in the past a lot of people kept them much too moist and poorly ventilated, which is exactly what kills them.

https://arachnoboards.com/threads/avicularia-care.291340/

https://arachnoboards.com/threads/avicularia-husbandry.282549/#post-2461396

newscorpionowner

Arachnopeon
Yes, although IMO adult A. avicularia is not difficult a difficult species to keep. I think the slings are a bit more fragile, and in the past a lot of people kept them much too moist and poorly ventilated, which is exactly what kills them.
I didnt realize how important the proper ventilation really is for these guys until today

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They do not flourish in stagnant, warm, humid enviroment, no!

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
I have never seen a pet store with avics keep them right. One store always has avics in large numbers and they are all in kritter keepers with a small cork bark tube that goes maybe half way up. Never have I seen one web because of lack of web anchor points and they just pace constantly. It's really sad.

newscorpionowner

Arachnopeon
they hardly pay attention to their animals tbh. although its in a cage thats pretty nice for her size, its the same exact cage my scorp was in, and i doubt they even cleaned it. Really sad but it excites me even more to find a local Expo and meet Actual human beings.

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
I just thought I'd clarify as you listed "intolerance for husbandry errors" and "SADS" as separate things in the post I quoted when they are, in fact, one and the same.
Yeah my bad. Should have been clearer. I was referring to people who "think" they died for no reason. SADS was more of a phenomenon when we didn't have the right hubandry.

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
they hardly pay attention to their animals tbh. although its in a cage thats pretty nice for her size, its the same exact cage my scorp was in, and i doubt they even cleaned it. Really sad but it excites me even more to find a local Expo and meet Actual human beings.
Expos are really cool for talking to breeders and you can find some crazy deals on cages accessories etc too! Just bring a bit of extra cash along cause you never know what you may find. Last expo I went to I had some spiders I wanted to get (pair of jumping spiders) and ended up walking out with 7 spiders, a bunch of springtails and a leopard gecko that was supposed to be paired with the female I got a while back. So the geckos were reunited and I got a bunch of spiders. Had I budgeted for the jumpers I would have missed out on my gecko's little buddy.

cold blood

Staff member
okay so definitely more interested in new world species, for that reason. I almost forgot to ask, those in the US, where do you get your slings from? Do you know dealers in your area or do you guys use websites like "fearnottarantula.com" or "bugsincyberspace". I don't see my area having many local dealers for T's.
The best place to shop hands-down is in the classified section on this site. We have tons of breeders and dealers all posting in our classifieds and every single one of them is required to have a corresponding review page so that you can shop with confidence.
Out of curiosity I read "Avics are not easy to keep and have very little leeway when it comes to husbandry errors" Avics would include the pink toe? The local pet store here has a small one and im sure they know very little about it. (just recently purchased a asian forest scorpion from this same location, because it didnt look like it had enough darkness or seemed lethargic) Id hate for it to die because of their lack of knowledge or care. (not to mention, theres a small female scorpion there now, in the same boat as the first. which almost made me impulsively buy her. But they would just get another to fill her spot.) the T is pretty small as well, so not really sure what to make of her. shes webbed up in the corner of her cage.
All Avicularia are referred to as "pink toes".

If you follow proper care, which is readily available on this site, you should have no problem raising or keeping an Avic.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Expos are really cool for talking to breeders and you can find some crazy deals on cages accessories etc too! Just bring a bit of extra cash along cause you never know what you may find. Last expo I went to I had some spiders I wanted to get (pair of jumping spiders) and ended up walking out with 7 spiders, a bunch of springtails and a leopard gecko that was supposed to be paired with the female I got a while back. So the geckos were reunited and I got a bunch of spiders. Had I budgeted for the jumpers I would have missed out on my gecko's little buddy.
While expos are absolutely a blast and a place to find some great deals, I'd like to add that you should go there knowing what you want in a first T and don't let people sweet-talk you into buying something you haven't done a little homework on, at least until you've got some experience on how to tell the bullpoop advice from the genuine. While a fair lot of dealers are very nice people who wouldn't steer you wrong, there are just as many there who're willing to pedal the wrong information to you just to make that sale. Expos are just as good a place for newbies to the hobby to make an ill-advised purchase and/or decision, such as buying that super pretty C. lividus because the guy said this one is just an absolute peach who he'd let his 6 year old hold, she's just so sweet! What's that? Are they good for beginners? Oh why, of COURSE, it was his own first T afterall!! :rolleyes:

newscorpionowner

Arachnopeon
Okay my wife and i have narrowed things down a bit i think. Pretty sure were wanting a terrestrial species vs arboreal , and most likely a New world, although the Brazilian black is undeniably cool and still considered for our first. AND, we have a expo coming to our area in JAN so were gonna see what they have. its a reptile expo but im sure well see some T's. I really cant say ive been persuaded away from b. hamorii, i watched a few videos and saw how quick they are to throw hairs, its really cool. So i guess right now ill just research away until im a well informed person who wont be swindled by the "she was my first" deal lol (gonna check out the classifieds here as well)

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
although the Brazilian black is undeniably cool and still considered for our first.
G. pulchra is both terrestrial AND new world, so it fits the bill ;) I have three myself, and they're great little Ts - Very chill, pretty good eaters, rarely hide, and I haven't even seen my nervous one attempt to kick hairs. The biggest drawback (and basically only IMO, though to some people it may be a positive thing rather than a negative) are that they grow PAINFULLY slow if you get one from a sling. I bought all 3 of mine three years ago as ~1" slings, and currently their sizes range from 1.5"-2" (and that might even be a generous estimation) with only 2 to 3 molts in my care each. From what I understand most people experience slightly faster growth rates, but it's pretty much universally excepted that these guys are notoriously slow growers. I'd just worry that having a T that won't even hit 3" for several years may be rather boring to the beginning hobbyist and give them the wrong impression.

I wouldn't persuade you away from them if that's what you think you want, but anything larger than 2" is gonna cost you a real pretty dime - let alone if you're hoping to get a sexed female - and even the slings aren't what I'd consider cheap.

have a expo coming to our area in JAN so were gonna see what they have. its a reptile expo but im sure well see some T's.
There almost certainly will be at least a couple T vendors there. If you can, try to see if you can find a vendor list - most expos have one available somewhere. :)

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
While expos are absolutely a blast and a place to find some great deals, I'd like to add that you should go there knowing what you want in a first T and don't let people sweet-talk you into buying something you haven't done a little homework on, at least until you've got some experience on how to tell the bullpoop advice from the genuine. While a fair lot of dealers are very nice people who wouldn't steer you wrong, there are just as many there who're willing to pedal the wrong information to you just to make that sale. Expos are just as good a place for newbies to the hobby to make an ill-advised purchase and/or decision, such as buying that super pretty C. lividus because the guy said this one is just an absolute peach who he'd let his 6 year old hold, she's just so sweet! What's that? Are they good for beginners? Oh why, of COURSE, it was his own first T afterall!! :rolleyes:
OP should definitely listen to this advice. Very good points made:D. I got my first t at an expo and went in with my list of possible species. I believe it was:

Brachypelma hamorii
T (B at the time) albopilosum
Grammastola pulchripes
Eupalestrus campastratus

The vendor was pretty good and also suggested G pulchra. Didn't have a pulchripes or campestratus. I was taking my first steps into the hobby and went for my $10 albopilosum. But the guy was pushing hard for the pulchra. I wasn't sure so I went with the albo. But I had a list of ones I was thinking about before just like the OP. Happy the vendor took the time to hook me up with the right t for me even though they were pushing hard on the pulchra. In the end we both were right. My albopilosum was the best first t and next time I got all the others after building my confidence up. Love my pulchra Betsy. She is the calmest t I have!

Was at another booth wuth a guy saying I should buy a pokie!

newscorpionowner

Arachnopeon
Sorry for the blonde moment i had. I know the easiest difference between new world and old worlds, new worlds are from the western world like north and south america, while old worlds come from the eastern such as Asia. Long story short.. thank god i dont make maps for a living lol. I was thinking Brazil was somewhere else. Thats why i was thinking they were old world.

G. pulchra is both terrestrial AND new world, so it fits the bill ;) I have three myself, and they're great little Ts - Very chill, pretty good eaters, rarely hide, and I haven't even seen my nervous one attempt to kick hairs. The biggest drawback (and basically only IMO, though to some people it may be a positive thing rather than a negative) are that they grow PAINFULLY slow if you get one from a sling. I bought all 3 of mine three years ago as ~1" slings, and currently their sizes range from 1.5"-2" (and that might even be a generous estimation) with only 2 to 3 molts in my care each. From what I understand most people experience slightly faster growth rates, but it's pretty much universally excepted that these guys are notoriously slow growers. I'd just worry that having a T that won't even hit 3" for several years may be rather boring to the beginning hobbyist and give them the wrong impression.

I wouldn't persuade you away from them if that's what you think you want, but anything larger than 2" is gonna cost you a real pretty dime - let alone if you're hoping to get a sexed female - and even the slings aren't what I'd consider cheap.

There almost certainly will be at least a couple T vendors there. If you can, try to see if you can find a vendor list - most expos have one available somewhere. :)
3 years and only half an inch, that does seem painfully slow lol. Ill have to check out if they have a vendor list somewhere. Do you know how long it usually take them to reach maturity on average for females?

Last edited by a moderator:

MogiCorp

Arachnosquire
Okay my wife and i have narrowed things down a bit i think. Pretty sure were wanting a terrestrial species vs arboreal , and most likely a New world, although the Brazilian black is undeniably cool and still considered for our first. AND, we have a expo coming to our area in JAN so were gonna see what they have. its a reptile expo but im sure well see some T's. I really cant say ive been persuaded away from b. hamorii, i watched a few videos and saw how quick they are to throw hairs, its really cool. So i guess right now ill just research away until im a well informed person who wont be swindled by the "she was my first" deal lol (gonna check out the classifieds here as well)
Are you going to Repticon Pembroke Pines?

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
3 years and only half an inch, that does seem painfully slow lol. Ill have to check out if they have a vendor list somewhere. Do you know how long it usually take them to reach maturity on average for females?
Not a surefire answer for that - a female is considered mature once her spermathecae sclerotize and she can viably breed/produce an egg sac. This happens usually when the T is 3/4ths their full size; G. pulchra can get 6-7" IIRC, so I'd say a female is mature right around the 5" mark. Depending on a few factors that affect growth rates and individual variation, I'd expect a female to be mature as soon as 5 years to as late as 10. I'm sure someone on here though can tell you how long it took for theirs to mature and give you an answer from experience.