Advice for enclosure...?

Which kind of enclosure will be better in my case?

• Longer box (more surface) but shallower substrate

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • Shorter box (less surface) but deeper substrate

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters

Mperor

Arachnopeon
Hi guys,

I am still in the 'research' phase and haven't picked up a scorpion just yet. But eventually, I may very well pick up an emperor scorpion to start.

However, my local dealer carries scorplings that are 2 months old now. So I guess I probably will be purchasing a very young 'juvenile' scorpling?

The question I have is... that I have two large plastic containers which I can house a young scorpion. Of course, as the scorpion matures, I will move him to a bigger enclosure...

Updated with demensions: I say large in relation to the scorpion.

I am planning to use one of them to house the scorpion, and the other one to start a worm farm.

Both boxes are rectangular.

Box 1 is shorter in length, but higher. (Deeper substrate?) 10" X 7" X 5"

Box 2 is longer in length, but lower in height. 14" X 7" X 4"

Which one do you think will be more appropriate for the scorpion?

Note: I also have a 7" X 4" X 5" critter keeper.

Last edited:

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
without measurements, we have no idea!

However, if they are big enough for a worm bin, they are too big for a second or third instar emperor!

I would recommend a deli cup for now. You can get them at a grocery store for free. Poke a lot of air holes with a safety pin. Add coco and a little piece of cork bark and you are good to go.

Good luck, and have fun! :)

flotation

Arachnopeon
Could you give the box dimensions?

If what you are getting is just a sling, a delicup would suffice at first.

Putting the sling in a large container may result in the sling having a hard time chasing its food.

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
A 12x12x12" will be fine for one adult Pandinus imperator

flotation

Arachnopeon
I believe its too large for an emperor sling,
But for the worm farm, I think Box 1 would suffice.

signinsimple

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I see this response alot, so I'd like to be enlightened:

- how can an enclosure barely larger than a foot in any dimension be "too large for a scorpling"?

I just don't see it. The scorpling will be fine in any of those enclosures.

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Issues in finding food, perhaps?
Maybe they're thinking about space efficiency and not so much how well the scorp will do in it.

Jorpion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I see this response alot, so I'd like to be enlightened:

- how can an enclosure barely larger than a foot in any dimension be "too large for a scorpling"?

I just don't see it. The scorpling will be fine in any of those enclosures.
I agree - a large enclosure for a small P. imperator is absolutely fine. Up until a month ago, I raised 10 emp scorplings in a 20-gallon long! Let me tell you, they RULED their land. I gave them 6" of moist coco fiber substrate and they built an amazing network of tunnels and dens. Emperors are obligate burrowers and will live much less stressful lives if allowed to burrow as they do in their natural habitat. Despite the large cage size, they never had any problems locating food whether it was alive or dead.

Good luck!!

Jeff

dairy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I agree - a large enclosure for a small P. imperator is absolutely fine.
+1

I moved 2I scorps into a large enclosure (roughly 1.5x the size of a shoe box) and they did great. It may be more space than they NEED but caused no problems. If you're really worried about their ability to catch prey you can simply cripple or outright kill the prey before putting it in with them. If you do this you allow full out burrowing (which IMO is pretty cool) and you don't need to rehouse them as they grow.

Edit - Another way to approach the "too much space for a juvy" thing - get more than one :)