Advice for a second T?

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hello all! I recently purchased a small B. Smithi and I think I found a new hobby. I like my new pet, but she is only about 1.5" so I can't really handle her too much yet. She has stopped eating her crickets for a week now, so I am pretty sure she is going to molt soon (I hope). I was going to keep her in a critter keeper for awhile, but I decided her deli container was a safer choice. Now on to my question. Because I would like a spider that I can handle whenever I feel like it (once a day maybe?) would a Pink Zebra Beauty be a good choice? I have read they have a great temperament, and are pretty neat looking. I would like to have several species of T's eventually, but I am def. not ready for any that are aggressive or skittish. ALL input is greatly appreciated!

briarpatch10

Arachnosquire
I do not handle any of my T's....I dont want this to turn into a "do you hold them" debate.....if I were to hold one it would be my G. pulchra she is very docile and sweet natured. Probly just about any of the grammostolas would be ok

Raine

Arachnopeon
Welcome to arachnoboards!

I only have one T and it's a Grammostola rosea. But she's wonderful and sweet natured and also the reason I've got a new list of eleven Ts I want to get! They're all beginners save maybe one/two max. Here's the list I made of ones I'd like to get based on reading up on the site about them!

Avicularia versicolor
Brachypelma auratum
Brachypelma smithi
Brachypelma vagans
Brachypelma Emilia
Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens
Cyclosternum fasciatum
Grammostola pulchra
Grammostola rosea (red)
Grammostola pulchripes
Laisodora parahybana

I'm buying the last one for sure, already have her on reserve! Also females live longer than males. Since I'm not breeding any of these I want to go for females. I think if I had to breed something it would be really colorful, rarer types. The GBB I would consider breeding once I have a lot more experience. :) But whatever you do, I think going for Brachypelma and Grammostola you can't go wrong--just watch for the hairs they might flick. Itchy!

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hmmm. I am now also considering the G. pulchripes. Beautiful spiders, well mannered, and can be HUGE lol.Everyting I want in a pet (pet spider anyway)

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Grammostola pulchra- FOR THE WIN!! :D

Brachypelma emilia is another excellent choice among many others. :)

edit- The two above- well, maybe not as big as G pulchripes.....although G iheringi imop would be an even better choice.

Draychen

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hmmm. I am now also considering the G. pulchripes. Beautiful spiders, well mannered, and can be HUGE lol.Everyting I want in a pet (pet spider anyway)
I would say to add Avicularia versicolor or the common Avicularia avicularia to your list. They're more entertaining to handle, as they will walk, run and jump while you handle them. If you're like me, you'll love the fact that when they find a comfortable place (normally my shoulder), they'll sit there for hours on end like a parrot. You'll find a good sized Avic avic for a pretty decent price.. though Avicularia metallica are some of my favorites, they're even more calm than the others. Here's some of my beauties:

A. versicolor

A. metallica

A. avicularia (Even prego she's still really docile)

brian abrams

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
2nd T

Assuming you are int. in another docile Terrestrial, and not an arboreal, such as Avicularia. You have a lot of choices. Almost any Grammostola, Aphonapelma, or Brachypelma (except Boehmei or Vagans). Lots of different colors, patterns, etc; especially among the Brachy's.

Enomegra

Arachnopeon
Assuming you are int. in another docile Terrestrial, and not an arboreal, such as Avicularia. You have a lot of choices. Almost any Grammostola, Aphonapelma, or Brachypelma (except Boehmei or Vagans). Lots of different colors, patterns, etc; especially among the Brachy's.
{D Yea Boehmei and Vagans are pissy buggers.

Midknight xrs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I would have to say i have probably some of the coolest starters, especially for apprehensive keepers. i know when i started it was two T's and then that went to four, then six, then seven, and when the gf finds out, it will be twelve after the next order.
I started with a Brachypelma Smithi, Aphonopelma sp. "new river rust rump," Cyclosternum Fasciatum and Aphonopelma Chalcodes. Then i got both an Avicularia Avicularia and Avicularia Versicolor. I picked up next a Lasiodora Parahybana, My next order consists of the 2 Brachypelma Albopilosum, Psalmopoeus Irminia, Eupalaestrus Campestratus and Grammostola Pulchripes

So most of those are pretty easy to deal with, the only ones i would question are the Cyclosternum Fasciatum and the Psalmopoeus Irminia. I'm trying my hand at some of the more aggressive, skittish T's, just cause they are pretty awesome looking.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Still amazing to me how people capitalize the species name. :}

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would say to add Avicularia versicolor or the common Avicularia avicularia to your list. They're more entertaining to handle, as they will walk, run and jump while you handle them. If you're like me, you'll love the fact that when they find a comfortable place (normally my shoulder), they'll sit there for hours on end like a parrot. You'll find a good sized Avic avic for a pretty decent price.. though Avicularia metallica are some of my favorites, they're even more calm than the others. Here's some of my beauties:

A. versicolor

A. metallica

A. avicularia (Even prego she's still really docile)
So I am picking up an Avicularia Avicularia for sure today, and possibly a G. Pulchripes or a Lasiodora Parahybana. I heard the Salmons can get a bit irritable at times, and some people say not to hold them. I am attracted to their size and they just seem like awesome arachnids. I will take photos of what I buy when I get home today!

Armstrong5

Arachnosquire
go for a g. pulchra or b. emilia in my opinion bc my chaco has mood swings but it is a fairly handable T. if ur going for size and a pretty good tempermant than yes i would say the chaco but if ur going for a T that has the best tempermant than go for the first 2 i listed

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So I picked up an adult A. Avicularia and a small (1.25''?) G. Pulchripes today. I figured I should get the golden knee as a baby and watch it grow (I understand they are FAST growers). The one thing that worries me is the Pinktoe seems underfed, and I am not sure how to offer it food. My Chaco ate as soon as I put it in it's new home (Tupperware) and the pinktoe is in a exo-terra Nano with nice moist ecoearth and some climbable decor. Oh yeah, she sprayed me with crap when I picked her up at the shop lmfao. Hopefully she settles into her new home quickly and starts eating :)

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So I picked up an adult A. Avicularia and a small (1.25''?) G. Pulchripes today. I figured I should get the golden knee as a baby and watch it grow (I understand they are FAST growers).
I will always choose to grow them up, just to see the changes they undergo.

The one thing that worries me is the Pinktoe seems underfed, and I am not sure how to offer it food.
Do the pedipalps have pink tips, like the toes? If not, you have a male there and its abdomen will be smaller. If so, you can try your hand at tong feeding, or wait until it was set up a web of sorts and then place it there. As long as it has water available, it will be okay without a few meals. It also may not eat when first brought home, so if it were me, I would wait.

My Chaco ate as soon as I put it in it's new home (Tupperware) and the pinktoe is in a exo-terra Nano with nice moist ecoearth and some climbable decor. Oh yeah, she sprayed me with crap when I picked her up at the shop lmfao. Hopefully she settles into her new home quickly and starts eating :)
Glad you were anointed properly! Enjoy your new Ts!

seezilla

Arachnopeon
So I picked up an adult A. Avicularia and a small (1.25''?) G. Pulchripes today. I figured I should get the golden knee as a baby and watch it grow (I understand they are FAST growers). The one thing that worries me is the Pinktoe seems underfed, and I am not sure how to offer it food. My Chaco ate as soon as I put it in it's new home (Tupperware) and the pinktoe is in a exo-terra Nano with nice moist ecoearth and some climbable decor. Oh yeah, she sprayed me with crap when I picked her up at the shop lmfao. Hopefully she settles into her new home quickly and starts eating :)
G. pulchripes are not fast growers, JSYK. Well, the males CAN be, if you power feed. Which I was under the assumption you shouldn't do because, while it will make your T grow faster, it will also shorten their life span. Something like that. Someone will correct me if I am wrong. :p I have three G. pulchripes slings. One is .5" and the other two are 2nd instars, so if I had to guess, they are probably .25" or a bit less. My chacos are all good eaters and the smaller two are extremely active and the funniest slings I have. They like to walk around with their butts in the air. Not sure if they are pissy or just showing off. But I think they are cute. :D E. Campestratus I've heard are super docile. I will let you know from my own personal experience when my two itty bitty slings are more than a 1/16th" ;)

You have some great beginner Ts. Have fun and enjoy your new babies. I am in love with my G. pulchripes. All of them. I like grammostolas. I have four all together including my biggest G. rosea unconfirmed female, Rozilla Spiderfox.

Last edited: