Advice for 18"x18"x18" tank

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hello everyone! I should be picking up an exo terra terrarium for a great price today, but I'm not sure what to put in it yet. It will be 18" cubed, and comes with the background but not the light hood. I only have 1 A. avicularia that is adult size, and all my other T's are 3" or under. I might get another arboreal tarantula, or I could make something that reduces the height of the enclosure and use it for my geniculata when it is bigger. What do you guys think?

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
I'd suggest a large pokie.

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I am considering that. Maybe even do a setup with a few communal T's in it.

crawley07

Arachnopeon
hey

hey where did you get your cage from and can you set up some pics? plz thank you...i was wondering if you getting from lll reptile.com?

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I decided against getting it because it is too big for any of my tarantulas that I have.

VENOMdeBEEVER

Arachnopeon
I have the exotera 18x18x18x and ita not for any tarantula. }t doesn't hold humidity at all. The front lock is very loud it scares my B.vagans back in her hole every time. Its huge. Way over priced there is way better ways to set up a tank for a T and way cheaper too. I have the buttom part filled with dirt up to the doors and it took 6 bricks of dirt. Exo tera prolly had chameleons in mind when designed. So good choice on passing. Ide recomend 5 gallon fish tanks you could set up 5 of the 5 gallon to 1 of the exoters and you're Ts will be a lot happier too.

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have the exotera 18x18x18x and ita not for any tarantula. }t doesn't hold humidity at all. The front lock is very loud it scares my B.vagans back in her hole every time. Its huge. Way over priced there is way better ways to set up a tank for a T and way cheaper too. I have the buttom part filled with dirt up to the doors and it took 6 bricks of dirt. Exo tera prolly had chameleons in mind when designed. So good choice on passing. Ide recomend 5 gallon fish tanks you could set up 5 of the 5 gallon to 1 of the exoters and you're Ts will be a lot happier too.
I could have gotten the terrarium for $30, but the size made me rethink it. I like the nano I have my A. Avicularia in, and after adding the acrylic to the top, the humidity is pretty good.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've had issues with humidity in exoterras as well. I couldn't even keep it up with a humidifier attached to it among other things and I lost a couple avics.

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If your talking the screen topped ones then yes humidity could be a problem but all I did was measure out some plexi and fit it in after taking out the screen. Drilled a few 1/2 holes in it and never had an issue.