Adventures in Scolopendra

nuclear_zombies

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Alright, today is THE DAY. I went to the TARAS show today expecting to leave with an adult S.polymorpha. Instead I picked up a nice S.mirabilis (Neon Blue Leg). He's about 4 inches long, obviously a juvenile and very fiesty. As soon as I can get pictures I will post them for sure. A big thank you to Dave Avery for helping me to get my "adventures in Scolopendra" off the ground. Stay tuned for more Scolopendra!!!!{D

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My adult S. mirabilis is 4 inch the biggest i've heard of is 5"

nuclear_zombies

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Pics of new Scolopendra Mirabilis

Here's a few pics of my new 'lil buddy. Sorry about the poor photo quality!:wall: I have named him/her "Unas, Slayer of the Gods" after a figure from Egyptian mythology (also the title of a tune by the metal band NILE). To gigas: thank you for the info, any and all information regarding these wonderous critters is appreciated:D !!

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
To me that looks like a Scolopendra cingulata, can you take a clear picture of the terminal legs?

nuclear_zombies

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Here is the best picture of the terminal legs that I could get Gigas. Again, thank you for the info. If Unas turns out to be of a different species, that's fine because I love all Scolopendra equally!!

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
No I am mistaken Its terminal legs are that of a Scolopendra mirabilis, I was going on colouration (I know not the best thing with pedes).

hibludij

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
part of its leg is missing (it looks like mycosis), watch the humidity.

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Personally I'm not sure if it is Mycosis or not but these are a desert pede, so it should not be very himid but the substrate should not be dry

nuclear_zombies

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Gigas: that's cool. You still know more than I do, this is the first centipede for me. Could you detail the dimorphism between S.mirabilis, and S.cingulata? :? I've only seen photos of both until I bought Unas. Both species, with the exception of the leg color look similiar in photos, particularly juveniles. Also, until today I was unaware that centipedes could use their terminal legs to grasp things. When I went to photograph his terminal legs, I touched them and he grabbed on right away! Remarkably strong grip for such a small creature!:eek:

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If I am more knowledgeable than you it is only by a small amount! The reason I know is because I know mirabilis and cingulata have different terminal legs and your specimens terminal legs look just like my mirabilis! If you want to know the defining features of each you'll have to ask one of the pede buffs like Vincent or Steven (their usernames aswell).

nuclear_zombies

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Personally I'm not sure if it is Mycosis or not but these are a desert pede, so it should not be very himid but the substrate should not be dry
He was missing a leg when i bought him, he's actually missing another section of leg on his third segment as well. His humidity and substrate are good, though. I've been keeping him on top of my modem, which holds 25 celsius perfectly(65% humidity). I take him off the modem at night, and back in the morning. With the exception of his terminals, the other legs feel quite delicate, and I would think they would be quite the target for injury and parasite problems.

bistrobob85

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nice looking centipede you have there :). I have a few of them in my own collection too. Up to know, i've been pretty sure that, from the looks of their terminals, they are sc.mirabilis.

Be aware of those terminals holding onto things... that is one of the main reason why you should NEVER poke at it with your bare hand :p.

phil.

nuclear_zombies

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Unas, Slayer of the Gods

Bistrobob: Yeah, that was kinda silly of me to do that, but I couldnt resist. For anybody interested, here's a link to a story about Unas. I know naming the critters makes no real difference, but I like to name mine after something absurd (the amazing chongo), or obscure mythological egyptians.

http://www.ancientegyptonline.co.uk/Unas.html

nuclear_zombies

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Better pics

I think these pictures are better, I took them in the dark using a flash partially blocked off with a piece of tape. It's hard to take pictures of all of him cause he's so fast {D

nuclear_zombies

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hehehehehehe

Sent away to Dave Avery for a Scolopendra subspinipes dehanni pedeling. I cant wait till it gets here{D

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
ahh nice choice:clap: you know you will be getting more, i'm up to 21 pedes(scolos,ethmostimas,etc) not including the babies i just sold,awesome critters but mean! gotta luv em{D

nuclear_zombies

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The dehaani pedeling has arrived:clap: :clap: I'll post some photos soon.
Also picked up an Indian Ornamental from a local shop. Back on topic, Scolopendra rules!!!!!

Arachnomaniak

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The dehaani pedeling has arrived:clap: :clap: I'll post some photos soon.
Also picked up an Indian Ornamental from a local shop. Back on topic, Scolopendra rules!!!!!
Enjoy the new baby :) Your pede collection is well started! I love the colouration of the dehaani as babies, such a contrast to the adults! I'm hoping to get some other interesting pedes in the near future!