Advan's pic thread

advan

oOOo
Staff member
Have you ever attempted to calculate the magnification on your macro shots? I can't help to notice the magnification range looks about the same as what I typically use with my stereomicrscope which is 10X-25X.
I have not. Michael(papilio) would have a better idea. Michael? Idea with 100mm at 1:1 with Raynox 250? That would be if the shot was a full frame shot and not cropped.
Oh WOW! That is one magnificent looking spider! How big is it? I can't wait for mine to look like that. Just stunning!
She is close to 6 inches?

Gorgeous!!
Thanks David, fingerscrossed. ;)

Pterinochilus murinus

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ha! That last shot reminds me of a couple guys wearing those inflatable Sumo wrestler suits!

@AphonopelmaTX,
The magnification of a 250 Raynox on a 100mm lens is something like 2 to 2.5X (depending on lens design).

But magnification in macro photography carries a different meaning than it does in microscopy. As you may know, 1X (or 1:1, true macro magnification) means that the linear size of the image on the camera's sensor is the same as the actual size of the subject. 1:1 macro lenses were initially created in order to make photographic duplicates of slide transparencies.

I may not have this following bit exactly right (and Chris, feel free to stomp all over this if I'm wrong) but the definition of magnification in microscopy is determined as the inverse ratio of the FL of the eyepiece to that of the objective.

Remember too that these macro images, if seen at 100% resolution (a 1:1 correspondence of the sensor pixels with the PC monitor's pixels), would with Chad's camera be 6000 pixels wide rather than the AB default maximum width of 800px. The amount of detail you'd see in Chad's images at that size would really blow you away! :D

I've done deep image stacking with a 10X Mitutoyo objective in place of a conventional camera lens, and this is capable of rendering sharp images of a fly's head on the camera's sensor which span several times the width of a standard HD monitor when seen at full-res. But the DOF of a single image of any non-planar subject is nil at this magnification as in the full-frame image below. This is where focus stacking really comes into its own, requiring more than 200 images at this objective's f/16 aperture to span the focal depth of the fly's head.

Last edited:

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
@AphonopelmaTX,
The magnification of a 250 Raynox on a 100mm lens is something like 2 to 2.5X (depending on lens design).

But magnification in macro photography carries a different meaning than it does in microscopy.
Thank you for your explanation! I think I understand the difference, but I will be reading more on the subject.

advan

oOOo
Staff member
These made it to 2i. Marks the 25th successful species of Theraphosidae I have hatched. :3:

Pterinochilus murinus

Encyocratella olivacea

spiderbesideher

Arachnosquire
I love all your pics but the P. murinus babies have me cracking up, I don't know why. They just look so hilariously adorable compared to the big bad adults.

advan

oOOo
Staff member
Congrats on the 25th then, Chad :D
Thanks Jan! :)

I love all your pics but the P. murinus babies have me cracking up, I don't know why. They just look so hilariously adorable compared to the big bad adults.
Thanks! EWL do look like funny gummy spiders. :D

Due to the new controversial paper, I'm taking the easy way out. ;)

Ornithoctoninae sp. 'hatihati' (Sulawesi, Indonesia)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks Michael! :D

Cyriopagopus sp. 'hati hati'

Impressive, these pics alone are making me reconsider obtaining one this locality at some point. The pics are quite striking, certainly rivaling the Socotra Blue photo taken at a British event not long ago that hit the news for a few weeks.

But still not as good as my Kodak Brownie!!! :razz:

advan

oOOo
Staff member
Chad, this thread is pure gold:clap::worship::clap: Thanks:smile:
Thanks! :)

Impressive, these pics alone are making me reconsider obtaining one this locality at some point. The pics are quite striking, certainly rivaling the Socotra Blue photo taken at a British event not long ago that hit the news for a few weeks.

But still not as good as my Kodak Brownie!!! :razz:
They are a nice species. Now get a few and put that Kodak to work. ;)

Omothymus violaceopes (Lampropelma violaceopes)

Radium

Outlaw Valkyrie
Just send them all to my house. I'll deal with the logistics of having several hundred adult OBTs and Lampropelmae in a one-bedroom apartment when I come to it.

advan

oOOo
Staff member
Just send them all to my house. I'll deal with the logistics of having several hundred adult OBTs and Lampropelmae in a one-bedroom apartment when I come to it.
Ha. P. murinus sac was small and male was on loan. Come help separate some incubators and I'll send you home with some. ;)

Omothymus violaceopes (Lampropelma violaceopes)