Adult Maturity

Lindt J

Arachnopeon
I would just like to know, how is an Adult Female considered as a Matured Female?
Actually I know for a fact that a Male is matured when it makes its sperm web, right? But how about for the Female?

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
A female is mature when her spermatecae (sp.?) have completely sclerotized. This can only be determined by looking at the molt with a microscope or strong magnifying glass.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Ah,

I read that wrong. If a T is sold as an adult female then it should be mature.

But as for how to tell if mature then there must be fully developed spermathecae as @Andrea82 has mentioned, or uterus for species that lack spermathecae.

Last edited:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
If a T is sold as an adult female then it should be mature.
This thread brings to light the importance of modifiers!

A female is sexually mature when the spermatheca is scleretized, but that usually happens long before they're full grown. Generally, they're breedable right around the 75% size mark. Typically, when people say that a tarantula is an "adult", this is what they're referring to. But in some cases, the spider would still have a couple more inches to grow before being considered full grown.

Females continue to molt even past their final growing molt, so it's difficult to say when a spider has reached its maximum size. If a spider is being sold as an adult/mature, always determine if the seller means sexually mature or mature by size.

Last edited:

nathanc

Arachnopeon
i just got my rose hair 2 weeks ago and she was out and walking around for about a week and a half. a few days ago she went into her hide and closed the front up with webbing. she hasent eaten since i got her and today i pulled half the webbing down to see if she was okay. she became very aggressive and ignored the cricket i gave her...i was wondering if anybody had an idea what is going on??

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
i just got my rose hair 2 weeks ago and she was out and walking around for about a week and a half. a few days ago she went into her hide and closed the front up with webbing. she hasent eaten since i got her and today i pulled half the webbing down to see if she was okay. she became very aggressive and ignored the cricket i gave her...i was wondering if anybody had an idea what is going on??
You should have posted this in Questions & Discussion subforum.

Your rose hair does not want to be disturbed. Thats why it blocked up the hide. It is probably going to fast or molt.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Stop feeding until the tarantula comes out on its own accord. Don't worry, adults of this species can literally live more than a year without any food.

In the future, hijacking threads is generally frowned upon ;)

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Don't tear down a Tarantula's webbing if it has blocked itself in its hide. Let it come out on its own when it is ready.
It let you know that it did not want to be disturbed by showing you a threat display. It could be ready to molt or fast in which case it will not eat.

Leave it alone now until it comes out on its own.