Adult enclosure size

Buffalo Ts

Arachnoknight
I am thinking about getting a bunch of these sterilite bins for adult enclosures. There are two different bins I have pictured. One is larger. Hoping to get a few opinions.

I would use these bins for my new world terrestrials. Adults of the species I have can range from 6-10 inches in DLS. Would the larger bins be too large for a 6-7 inch adult?

Is there anything wrong with using one size or the other for that size range of Ts? Anyone use these?

I'd love to have fancy acrylic, but it would get pricy for all my Ts.

Thanks!

Attachments

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
i use the one with 4 latches for my A genic around 6 inch and some change. she is getting a bigger house soon ,but your gonna need a big bag and more of coco fiber to get it to a safe level of sub for your ts.

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
Fill up either about halfway with sub and they'd work great!

Maybe the REALLY big adults would need something a tad bigger!

Cas S

Arachnoknight
I am using one of those as a temporary enclosure for my leachianus gecko, the plastic is a little brittle so soaking it in warm water makes it easier to cut/drill. also take out the foam gasket. the hinges also break fairly easily but that might just be me being to rough with them.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I am thinking about getting a bunch of these sterilite bins for adult enclosures. There are two different bins I have pictured. One is larger. Hoping to get a few opinions.

I would use these bins for my new world terrestrials. Adults of the species I have can range from 6-10 inches in DLS. Would the larger bins be too large for a 6-7 inch adult?

Is there anything wrong with using one size or the other for that size range of Ts? Anyone use these?

I'd love to have fancy acrylic, but it would get pricy for all my Ts.

Thanks!

Either will work if set up properly. You could use fish tanks for many NW species. Acrylic isn’t the greatest. I have some and glass. I prefer glass over acrylic. Plus minus to every container out there. Been doing this for a bit, never found a perfect cage, never will either.

One of the big box stores has a sale once a year for 1$ a gallon on Aqueons. That’s a good price!!

Give you an idea I have AF NW terrestrials at 6”, I keep them in ExoTerra Breeder Boxes, Large

Buffalo Ts

Arachnoknight
i use the one with 4 latches for my A genic around 6 inch and some change. she is getting a bigger house soon ,but your gonna need a big bag and more of coco fiber to get it to a safe level of sub for your ts.
I have a LOT of coco fiber/ peat moss, and that definitely something I did consider.

Buffalo Ts

Arachnoknight
Either will work if set up properly. You could use fish tanks for many NW species. Acrylic isn’t the greatest. I have some and glass. I prefer glass over acrylic. Plus minus to every container out there. Been doing this for a bit, never found a perfect cage, never will either.

One of the big box stores has a sale once a year for 1$ a gallon on Aqueons. That’s a good price!!

Give you an idea I have AF NW terrestrials at 6”, I keep them in ExoTerra Breeder Boxes, Large
Do you just make an acrylic top and vent for the glass enclosures? Or use something else?

I guess with NW adult Ts, dry sub and water dish is all they need, so moisture/humidity isn't an issue with the glass.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Do you just make an acrylic top and vent for the glass enclosures? Or use something else?

I guess with NW adult Ts, dry sub and water dish is all they need, so moisture/humidity isn't an issue with the glass.
Yes

Yes + hide - generally speaking

Buffalo Ts

Arachnoknight
Yes

Yes + hide - generally speaking
My temps can get up to around 82-83 MAX in summer. I guess I could just top vent accordingly (drill more or less holes), and make sure it doesn't get too humid in there.

I REALLY don't want to use plastic, because I want to be able to clearly see my Ts. And with over a dozen Ts ( at this point) These glass aquariums may be the way to go!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My temps can get up to around 82-83 MAX in summer. I guess I could just top vent accordingly (drill more or less holes), and make sure it doesn't get too humid in there.

I REALLY don't want to use plastic, because I want to be able to clearly see my Ts. And with over a dozen Ts ( at this point) These glass aquariums may be the way to go!

Or just let them free-range! ;)

Buffalo Ts

Arachnoknight
Or just let them free-range! ;)
😂 Could do that... Except for my female A. geniculata. That thing would attack ANYTHING that got near it...

And my P. sp mascara would kick itself bald in no time.

Other than than we'd be fine!

Cas S

Arachnoknight
😂 Could do that... Except for my female A. geniculata. That thing would attack ANYTHING that got near it...

And my P. sp mascara would kick itself bald in no time.

Other than than we'd be fine!
you could have your very own drain spider

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Neither of those are far off what I use for my C.huahini, P. antinous, and G. iheringi females (17"x11"x11", pictured below with what at the time was a 7" genic).

21L tub.jpg

Buffalo Ts

Arachnoknight
Neither of those are far off what I use for my C.huahini, P. antinous, and G. iheringi females (17"x11"x11", pictured below with what at the time was a 7" genic).

View attachment 351990
Very nice. I ended up going with these enclosures for an intermediate enclosure, while I work on the BIG enclosures for my largest species. 60 dollars for 4.

Attachments