Adult Avic Housing

jmod

Arachnopeon
Hi All,

Just curious what folks are doing for adult avic housing setups. What do you like to use? What Size? Pics?

Has anyone found bioactive to be more or less beneficial?

Thanks!

Chroma Trigger

Brachypelma Collector
Arachnosupporter +
I've been posting this pic so much lately, feels like I'm spamming :lol:. But it's on topic here, so why not... This is the enclosure of my A. Avicularia, who has been in there for about a month now. It's an Exo Terra Nano Tall with a modded lid, so the tarsal claws won't get stuck. Best Avic enclosure IMO.

I'm very cautious with bioactive setups, especially because I'm better at keeping Ts alive than plants. A bioactive enclosure is better suited for a species with higher humidity requirements and I personally wouldn't recommend it for an Avicularia setup. I keep mine dry with good airflow.

A. Avicularia Enclosure.jpg

jmod

Arachnopeon
I've been posting this pic so much lately, feels like I'm spamming :lol:. But it's on topic here, so why not... This is the enclosure of my A. Avicularia, who has been in there for about a month now. It's an Exo Terra Nano Tall with a modded lid, so the tarsal claws won't get stuck. Best Avic enclosure IMO.

I'm very cautious with bioactive setups, especially because I'm better at keeping Ts alive than plants. A bioactive enclosure is better suited for a species with higher humidity requirements and I personally wouldn't recommend it for an Avicularia setup. I keep mine dry with good airflow.

View attachment 338810
That's nice, I like it. I'm a little worried about the bio setup as well, humidity wise, but they just look like they're supposed to be crawling around a jungle! Thanks for the pic :)

Chroma Trigger

Brachypelma Collector
Arachnosupporter +
That's nice, I like it. I'm a little worried about the bio setup as well, humidity wise, but they just look like they're supposed to be crawling around a jungle! Thanks for the pic :)
IMO it's always complicated to replicate a natural environment within a terrarium. Avics are also fantastic swimmers (if they need to) as seen in vids like these, but we can't translate a jungle into an enclosed space. What works in nature will quickly lead to stuffy conditions, stagnant air and death. I have a friend who made a real-plant setup for a GBB... The T obviously webbed over everything and the plants died, because of the lack of light - it was a mess ;)

FrmDaLeftCoast

Arachnosquire
What's humidity??? lol. I have my adult avics in a Exo Terra Nano Tall.

jmod

Arachnopeon
IMO it's always complicated to replicate a natural environment within a terrarium. Avics are also fantastic swimmers (if they need to) as seen in vids like these, but we can't translate a jungle into an enclosed space. What works in nature will quickly lead to stuffy conditions, stagnant air and death. I have a friend who made a real-plant setup for a GBB... The T obviously webbed over everything and the plants died, because of the lack of light - it was a mess ;)
Well, fair enough. :)

cold blood

Staff member
Humidity is how you kill avics....keep them predominantly dry with a water dish.