Adopting a Chinese Softshell Turtle - sept 2010

kingrattus

Arachnoknight
I'm so excited & cannot wait to get her :D
I could have gotten her this weekend, but the turtle delivery took most of the day & we were too tired to carry another 75gal tank. The next time we'll have a truck is for a whole week in sept, so I have to wait until then. Since I'm the CAO for the rescue I get to see her often, so its not so bad :D

Isn't she cute?:D

Anyone want to help with names?
I'm thinking of Rose or Rosie

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Oh! She is too precious! :)

I think Rosie is an adorable name for her :D

Edd Eskimo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Congrats! At the local asian market around here they sell soft shell turtles for chow:( Along w/ other oddities like bull frogs:D

kingrattus

Arachnoknight
Oh! She is too precious! :)

I think Rosie is an adorable name for her :D
Thank you :)
She has just recovered from 3 fungus infections. the one on her front hand was the size of a marble!! The other 2 were on her back & they were small.

I tried to hold her a couple days ago & wow, is she ever a kicker LOL Shes just as feisty as my snapper lol If only they could be friends in the same pond.. poo

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Nice turtle. I don't know if your sense of humor is much in line with mine but perhaps you could name her the chinese word for soup? Or maybe for Lucky?

I have a couple of friends who are fluent in mandarin so I can find out how to squish those words into the english alphabet if you like. ;)

kingrattus

Arachnoknight
Nice turtle. I don't know if your sense of humor is much in line with mine but perhaps you could name her the chinese word for soup? Or maybe for Lucky?

I have a couple of friends who are fluent in mandarin so I can find out how to squish those words into the english alphabet if you like. ;)
Soup would be funny, but it wouldn't be appropriate in my line of work, esp. if she came to one of the shows with me.

My current show turtle's old name was Tubby, but we didn't think it was very appropriate, so I renamed her to sky :)

Sky, Florida Red Belly Cooter

She doesn't kick when held, so I loose less blood & skin with her as my main show turtle.

kingrattus

Arachnoknight
Ok, so apparently I'm now adopting 2 female Softshells. The one I posted in my first post & her new Albino friend!!!

Now I need to think of names that'll work as a pair... Hmmmmm

Here is the Albino, isn't she cute & creepy? lol

See the tiny plastic cage she is in? Thats where she spent all 7 of her years, & had just enough water to cover her back :mad:
She & the other one are currently in a 35 learning to swim & being medicated.
The albino has been going crazy with having so much room to move & swim. I cannot wait to see how excited she gets when she goes into the 75g at my place :D

Neither can "swim" yet so they'll have low water for a good while, but I can't wait until they are both strong enough to swim about & truly enjoy life :)

Warren Bautista

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nice turtles. :D

Unfortunately, on my trips to Chinatown here in NY, I see many of these turtles for sale as food. :(

kingrattus

Arachnoknight
WOW nice albino turtle :) they probably cost a lot in the market.
Thank you.

As a hatchling Albinos can cost about $200+. For a sexed adult she could fetch more, however she wont be sold, as shes a pet & part of our Education program.

She'll be coming to the Breeders Expo here in Toronto Ontario (sept 18~19), we'll be located near the entrance against the wall :)

GiantVinegaroon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Congrats! At the local asian market around here they sell soft shell turtles for chow:( Along w/ other oddities like bull frogs:D
I've been to Chhinatown markets and have seen plenty turtles like this one sold for food. However, you CAN buy them live. They might think you're a little nuts, but they might let you purchase the animals live. I got an eel that way.

kingrattus

Arachnoknight
I've been wanting to post much more about my girls, but you people have made this thread a downer & I don't like opening it & constantly being reminded that my pets are food. I know they are a food item to some, so are dogs, cats, bugs, & just about everything else that most of us see as pets. But I don't go into your happy loving pet threads & remind you that your pet is a food item. So why are you doing it to mine?

Turtles are a huge part of my life, considering I'm the CAO of a turtle rescue & just wanted to share some happy news as I see so much abuse, neglect, & death in my field. So thanks for making this thread feel more about food then about saving an unwanted pets life.

I wont be replying in here anymore... :(:(:(

jere000

Arachnosquire
I don't find it appropriate to judge other peoples cultures, such as eating turtles i don't like it but i enjoy eating beef which to some people is a sacred animal should we be put down for eating that.

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
I've been wanting to post much more about my girls, but you people have made this thread a downer & I don't like opening it & constantly being reminded that my pets are food. I know they are a food item to some, so are dogs, cats, bugs, & just about everything else that most of us see as pets. But I don't go into your happy loving pet threads & remind you that your pet is a food item. So why are you doing it to mine?

Turtles are a huge part of my life, considering I'm the CAO of a turtle rescue & just wanted to share some happy news as I see so much abuse, neglect, & death in my field. So thanks for making this thread feel more about food then about saving an unwanted pets life.

I wont be replying in here anymore... :(:(:(
I think you have overreacted here. Everyone was saying they are nice turtles and congrats etc. If you look in the tarantula sub forums, you will see many threads that remind us that other cultures eat them as well. It's just life in other cultures. Nobody here was telling you that's what you should do with your turtles or anything, in fact the only posts I see that reference it are saying how it is unfortunate that it happens.

I say go ahead and post about how they are doing. They are beautiful turtles, and lucky to have a second chance.

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well alot the things about the markets had the sad face emotion :)() next to it or they were about buying a live one to save it.

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
Your turtles are awesome and everyone would love to see more pics.
I agree that they are beautiful, I have always been fascinated by turtles. Would love an update on the girls, if you have them home now.

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi there

I'd like to see more pics please, especially of them swimming in your 75 gallon :)
None of the people who posted meant any disrespect, they just noted that it's a shame such beautiful creatures are food for others.
I've never seen an albino turtle before, so that was a first for me.