Adequate Pokie hide

Nephrite

Arachnoknight
Hi, I have this wooden “hide” I’ve been looking to use and I thought I could use it for a pokie enclosure.

I’m aware that a proper hide is important for a pokie to avoid stress, and if this wood right now isn’t good enough, no problem, I’ll get a round cork tube to use.

Let me know what you guys think.

The pokie is an adult female P. Metallica 6”
And the enclosure will be an 12x12x18 exoterra

PS: I’ve been advised that maybe I use the current wood piece as another extra hide but have an initial cork round tube in the corner as a possible main hide for the pokie, so that it has options. I think that sounds the best but just let me know if there are any other suggestions.

Attachments

Pepper

Arachnosquire
Yeah if it were me i would have more than that piece in there.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Cork would be better IMO.

I use 2 cork flats at a 45. Others use a tube

Chebe6886

Arachnobaron
Problem with non cork branches/hides is they really absorb a lot of moisture and mold very easily unless things are bone dry. Not that that should hurt the spider but it’s more an aesthetic issue to me.
I still use them on occasion but have to Be conscious of keeping things drier than I may want in areas.
As far as that piece as a hide... I think it would be ok as long as you give the spider plenty of time to settle in. If the wood itself doesn’t cover enough space they’ll usually just hang a dirt curtain where needed after a week or two.

MBArachnids

Arachnoknight
Problem with non cork branches/hides is they really absorb a lot of moisture and mold very easily unless things are bone dry. Not that that should hurt the spider but it’s more an aesthetic issue to me.
I still use them on occasion but have to Be conscious of keeping things drier than I may want in areas.
As far as that piece as a hide... I think it would be ok as long as you give the spider plenty of time to settle in. If the wood itself doesn’t cover enough space they’ll usually just hang a dirt curtain where needed after a week or two.
Ever consider covering the part that goes into the ground and about 2cm above the sub with aquarium silicone? Works great, doesn't look odd either.

MBArachnids

Arachnoknight
I just realised I use a lot of silicone :rofl: but the stuff works and you can cover it so nicely with sub that it will never look out of place.