Adelphobates galactonotus “orange”

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
Hello PDF people, I’m finally taking the plunge!
I’ve ordered all my supplies and gotten some plants for a full bioactive 10 gallon setup, and I’m hoping to maybe pick up my first frog/frogs at NARBC Tinley in a few weeks.

Currently I’m thinking that I want to get A. galactonotus, and I wanted to ask about people’s experience with this species and any notes you may have that might be useful for their care. (Pictures are also appreciated just as much, I can’t get enough of the little guys)

Thanks!

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
From what I understand, If you are in the USA then Adelphobates are actually illegal under the Lacey Act.

Also 10 gallons is generally not enough space for a pair of dart frogs, particularly for this species (from what I've read), that said, Orange galacs are on my want most list

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
From what I understand, If you are in the USA then Adelphobates are actually illegal under the Lacey Act.

Also 10 gallons is generally not enough space for a pair of dart frogs, particularly for this species (from what I've read), that said, Orange galacs are on my want most list
I was told that specifically for the “Orange” morph, a group of smuggled individuals were seized in Europe, declined for return by Brazil, and then the offspring were released to the public. They were then imported to the United States with paperwork cleared by USFW. I have heard a lot about the “blue” morph being completely smuggled however. I’m relatively new to the dart world so take all that with a grain of salt I suppose.

I’m also intending to get froglets of whatever species I end up with(might swap to leucomelas honestly) and then upgrade them to a larger enclosure, or insure a male female pair as I’ve been told mating pairs will do fine in a 10 outside of some of the very large species.

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
10 gallons would be best for thumbnails or a froglet. 20+ gallons would be best. Also if you’re just starting to keep pdfs, I highly recommend dendrobates tinctprius aka “tincs.” Super common and compared to most others, relatively cheap.

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
10 gallons would be best for thumbnails or a froglet. 20+ gallons would be best. Also if you’re just starting to keep pdfs, I highly recommend dendrobates tinctprius aka “tincs.” Super common and compared to most others, relatively cheap.
I actually really dislike the body shape of tincs, they happen to be the 1 species I have absolutely no interest in keeping. I appreciate the advice though!

MasterOogway

Arachnoknight
Adelphobates are large frogs. While all Adelphs are *technically* not legally imported into the states, really only the recent blue morph is considered a no-go area because of the very obvious recent laundering and smuggling of them in. The others are kind of 'grandfathered' in, which isn't really any better, but it was a long time ago before the hobby really had the standards is does today. I'd say ethically, while they're not GREAT to have, you'd be fine otherwise keeping them. Do you have a conversion kit for your 10 gallon? That's going to be way too small for anything but froglets, pums, or ranitomeya. I'd give yourself more time to get that tank setup too. Especially if you end up going in a cork bark or foamed background. That stuff needs time to cure, you need to get a false bottom built, then you need to add plants and start fly cultures. Make sure you have the hang of making cultures before you get frogs. It's a fantastic hobby, (my favorite one, even over keeping inverts!) but it can be especially fiddly. Amphibs are even more delicate than inverts and you need to make sure to do it properly.

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
Adelphobates are large frogs. While all Adelphs are *technically* not legally imported into the states, really only the recent blue morph is considered a no-go area because of the very obvious recent laundering and smuggling of them in. The others are kind of 'grandfathered' in, which isn't really any better, but it was a long time ago before the hobby really had the standards is does today. I'd say ethically, while they're not GREAT to have, you'd be fine otherwise keeping them. Do you have a conversion kit for your 10 gallon? That's going to be way too small for anything but froglets, pums, or ranitomeya. I'd give yourself more time to get that tank setup too. Especially if you end up going in a cork bark or foamed background. That stuff needs time to cure, you need to get a false bottom built, then you need to add plants and start fly cultures. Make sure you have the hang of making cultures before you get frogs. It's a fantastic hobby, (my favorite one, even over keeping inverts!) but it can be especially fiddly. Amphibs are even more delicate than inverts and you need to make sure to do it properly.

Thank you so much for all of that information! I think I’ll probably stick to either froglets and move them up later, or only get one for now and expand to more later on in a larger tank, as I’ve actually already done all the prep you talked about! I’ve attached a photo of the tank I’ve set up(planning to add one more hide), and I’m familiar with culturing Drosophila (In my work, hobby, and undergrad). I’ve kept exotic amphibians before just never darts, I should’ve clarified. 7F7A3230-55F5-4CC2-9565-20D3A4B33E33.jpeg 5C8F1789-9CEC-45FF-8BB8-0D7081807A62.jpeg

Dandrobates

Arachnoknight
That is a nice build. You could easily grow out a pair of Leucs in there and upgrade later.

MasterOogway

Arachnoknight
Looks nice! You could for sure grow some froglets in there. Leucs, any of the phyllobates (I have aurotaenia and they're some of my favorite), or a pair of tinc froglets would all do ok in there for a little while and are good starters. Do you have a vent in the top lid? You'll want that to prevent stagnant air from sitting in there. Exos (modified) work well for frogs when you move up tank sizes, or if you can get a conversion kit for a 20 or 40 gallon tank that would be ideal. There are also some threads in some of the dart frog forums about making 'euro' style tanks with sliding doors and the like that look nice. The taller tanks also work nicely for putting in backgrounds and sticking more limbs there so you can use that vertical space.

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
Looks nice! You could for sure grow some froglets in there. Leucs, any of the phyllobates (I have aurotaenia and they're some of my favorite), or a pair of tinc froglets would all do ok in there for a little while and are good starters. Do you have a vent in the top lid? You'll want that to prevent stagnant air from sitting in there. Exos (modified) work well for frogs when you move up tank sizes, or if you can get a conversion kit for a 20 or 40 gallon tank that would be ideal. There are also some threads in some of the dart frog forums about making 'euro' style tanks with sliding doors and the like that look nice. The taller tanks also work nicely for putting in backgrounds and sticking more limbs there so you can use that vertical space.
The top lid does have a vent, it’s a folding glass replacement I was recommended by a friend. I’m definitely a fan of Phyllobates as well, specifically the Tesoros Blackfoot terribilis are really spectacular imo. I like the idea of a modified exo later on, doors opening out from the side would be really convenient for the space I’m using.

MasterOogway

Arachnoknight
doors opening out from the side would be really convenient for the space I’m using.

Yeah, you do a top opening tank once, and that's usually the last one anyone does before going to front opening. They're just sooooo much easier for frogs. Phyllobates, I think, have the best calls in the dart frog world. Aurotaenia calls are *gorgeous* and I love them. Blackfoots are very pretty frogs as well, and Tesoros is great.