Adding to the family

Quizzler

Arachnopeon
So at the moment I have a C. Cyaneopubescens and a G. Rosea. I'm getting back into the hobby and have some empty tanks, so I wanna start fillin em up again. I'm thinking about going for another Avicularia, and some burrowing terrestrial to start off... Any recommendations on the two? In the past I've had a P. Murinus, an A. Chalcodes and an A. Avic, so I'm looking to switch it up a bit. To quote Pat Benatar, Hit me with your best shot! :D

Last edited:

Rydog

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Do you mean T. blondi? In my opinion the best T for you would probably be an A. geniculata. They grow big, eat like hell and have some personality. I had one but traded it for pokies. But you just have to search through the species and as soon as one grabs your attention more than the others go for it.

Quizzler

Arachnopeon
Oh, my bad. I meant Aphonopelma Chalcodes. The desert "blonde" part must've screwed me up. Thanks Rydog, I'm gonna take a look at the Geniculata now. :)
Anybody else?

tinacouch

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
How about an L. parahybana? They get really big and are aggressive eaters.
You could also try A. versicolor if you want an aboreal. There is just so
many choices out there to choose from. Good luck.

AubZ

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My quick list :

A Versicolor
L Parahybana
A Geniculata
M Robustum
A Amazonica

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Get a GBB!!!! They are beautiful, easy to keep,web like crazy, eat well and are very hardy. One of my favortie all time T's.

Quizzler

Arachnopeon
Haha I do already have a GBB. That's the C. Cyaneopubescens :) I love her/him, I've had her since she was a sling and she's a beautiful spider. Eats like a monster, webs more than she should...Very nice spider. :D Oh, do the parahybana burrow?

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Haha I do already have a GBB. That's the C. Cyaneopubescens :) I love her/him, I've had her since she was a sling and she's a beautiful spider. Eats like a monster, webs more than she should...Very nice spider. :D Oh, do the parahybana burrow?
parahybana's will burrow as slings, once they put on some size they are always out in the open...

Regards, Mike

Rydog

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My parahybana is out 75% of the time, another T you might try is a Pamphobeteus sp. I still think you would like the geniculata.

Rydog

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My genic would burros 5 or 6 inches under some cork bark but would only go in her burrow if she caught something.

Quizzler

Arachnopeon
Thanks Rydog :D I'm gonna go with the Geniculata for my terrestrial. Now for the arboreal...I don't want one that's too aggressive, but I'm not sure I want something as docile as an Avicularia (unless they're not very).
Maybe something the same temperament as the Geniculata?

Thanks,
Ben

Rydog

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well I would get a Psalmopoeus sp. they are more on teh aggressive side though. My personal favorites are Poecilotheria. I would go with a pokie or a psalmo. They are all about the same temperment and are all stunning. Are you going to buy slings or juvies or adults?

Quizzler

Arachnopeon
I'm not to keen on adults, and I wanna see them grow up so I'll probably be going for slings. I thought pokies were some of the most aggressive arboreals let alone tarantulas out there though.

Rydog

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Pokies are defensive and VERY fast, mine are not aggressive though, they would much rather run. If you are relatively new to the hobby then I would pass on the pokies. I think that once you start to watch and observe them the more you understand and respect them. I think you could handle it though.

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I got a pokie as one of my 3rd t's (i say one of coz i bought a lot of 5 as my third lot :rolleyes:)

I have 2 now.. P. regalis and P. ornata. Neither of which i've seen a threat posture from.. I give them the space they deserve and respect! I know what they're capable of doing, so i take that into account when housing etc The only time i see speed is when they're feeding and yes they're quick!! But they're not aggressive... defensive if annoyed yes :)

Rydog

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you want a T that you can handle then don't go with a pokie. If you want a potentially big T then go for the Pokie. Both psalmos and pokies hide a lot of the time and usually make cool webs to hide in. Anther cool part is watching arboreals feed, you will see how fast they are.;P

Quizzler

Arachnopeon
Okay, so I'm looking at Psalmopoeus Cambridgei and a Poecilotheria sp.
Any reccomendations on a particular pokie species? Differences in temperament, size, behavior...
And P. Cambridgei experiences?

Thanks,
Ben

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
pokies or para

I have pokies like Regalis, Ornata, fasciata, to name a few, and parahybanas, one is over 6 inch. Get the para for an always out, good eater, display T, can be skittish. Get a pokie for beautiful display T,comes out to display sometimes, love it when they flatten out on bark to rest, can be fast, mainly runs and hides.