Adding to the family

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ornata

Of my pokies, the ornata is the most skittish, darts into her bark hide in a flash, if disturbed.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Haha I do already have a GBB. That's the C. Cyaneopubescens :) I love her/him, I've had her since she was a sling and she's a beautiful spider. Eats like a monster, webs more than she should...Very nice spider. :D Oh, do the parahybana burrow?
Ooops, my bad. Sorry!!!!! :eek: Chalk it up to being over tired and not reading carefully.
Can I change my vote? Either an L. parahybana or an A. geniculata. I have both and they are both wonderful, don't hide and eat a lot.

Rydog

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
A good starter species is regalis but many like ornata too. for the psalmos I like irminias they are what many call the panther of the trees. Both genus' are skittish and defensive. But both are very beautiful! Tell me what you are going to get.

Quizzler

Arachnopeon
C. Crawshayi, the option might be before me. Tell me everything there is to know, please. :D Ready steady go!

Thanks, Ben

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Okay, so I'm looking at Psalmopoeus Cambridgei and a Poecilotheria sp.
Any reccomendations on a particular pokie species? Differences in temperament, size, behavior...
And P. Cambridgei experiences?

Thanks,
Ben

I keep Psalmopoeus species and Poecilotheria species. My favourite Psalmopoeus has to be Psalmopoeus pulcher. Beautiful, tidy, lovely looking spiders. My favourite pokie has to be ornata and subfusca. (I'm yet to get a subfusca though :D)

Both pokies and psamlo's are very fast, and do some nice webbing, but hide quite a lot.
As a spiderling my P.cambridgei burrowed under the substrate. I got it in October as a newly moulted spiderling (i got it from a friend who bred them!) So was about 1cm.. The same spider is now about 4" legspan and is growing very well. Eats loads. Is fantastic to watch. Lovely colouring too.
They grow to a fair old size! The mother of my cambridgei has a leg span of 9"!!!

Here's a piccy of my cambridgei.
I handled it once during rehousing by accident. It shot onto my hand then slowly walked up my arm lol It then jumped off of my hand and into a tub of substrate, where it landed in a threat posture lol!! That is the only time i've ever seen it be nasty to anything but a cricket :D
This is how it landed:

And this is it in its house:

Don't be put off though... They're gorgeous spiders :D Wouldn't be without one now! :D

Last edited: