Adding peat moss to coconut husk to keep burrow from caving in

hilltowner

Arachnopeon
Hi, We've been having trouble with our Brachypelma Albopilosum's burrows caving in. We've been using just coconut husk, but posted about the caving issue and several people recommended adding peat moss to the mix. We purchased some peat moss, but are not sure it is the correct kind. We've included a pic of the peat moss we purchased. Is it the right kind? What portion should be coconut and what portion should be peat moss? Thanks!

Marla

Attachments

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
It might be more fruitful if you post a picture of the enclosure in question. IME the T´s will enforce their burrows with silk and even parts of their old moults if you don´t remove them. They are most likely more than capable of taking care of their burrows without the keeper interacting, but as I said, pictures would be of great help here :)

cold blood

Staff member
The coco fiber works fine, it just needs to be pressed down tightly before adding the t.

sasker

Arachnoprince
You mentioned you use coconut husk. Is it the coco vibre/eco earth variaty? Or the big flaky one? If the former, then packing it down as @cold blood suggests would suffice. I have no experience using the latter. It never looked 'diggable' so I avoided this variety. Perhaps that's why burrows continue to cave in.

A picture of the terrarium would help.

Nixphat

Arachnosquire
My wife and I picked this up from Lowes. Big thing about organic is just making sure there isn't any organic manure in there! Pictures are a little bit blurry, but it was $11 or so? It's three cubic feet so we won't be running out anytime soon :D

Edit: Ingredients are a good place to check, we figured when the ingredients were just the peat moss, we were safe. 7 months and our two porteri are great. Sling has molt once and is currently eating, so it's been pretty solid so far

Attachments

Walker253

Arachnobaron
I'll work ok. I'd do 50/50. If you had vermiculite, toss a handful into the mix. I like playground sand as well (it's super cheap), but the total would be 10% max of the total mix.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hi, We've been having trouble with our Brachypelma Albopilosum's burrows caving in. We've been using just coconut husk, but posted about the caving issue and several people recommended adding peat moss to the mix. We purchased some peat moss, but are not sure it is the correct kind. We've included a pic of the peat moss we purchased. Is it the right kind? What portion should be coconut and what portion should be peat moss? Thanks!

Marla
Mixing moss w/ the coco works much better in providing structure. IME it does reduce cave ins.