Adaptiveness and tolerance

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
While tarantulas’ adaptiveness within tolerable captive settings will shine greatly, though it often being challenged with the over-popularly used term ‘semi’ or lacking in information. Keeping terrestrial tarantulas in terrestrial settings, and keeping arboreal tarantulas in arboreal settings, and lastly, keeping fossorial tarantulas in fossorial settings are indisputable, but by adding the term ‘semi’, it allows to omit the importance of keeping tarantulas in right setting.

The most usual suspect is Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens, and it’s being known/known as/believed as semi-arboreal, while it is actually terrestrial with great adaptiveness, and tolerance while being kept as alboreal-ish. Not so much of trouble is here, nor any risk, in this case, but in my case, it caused a bit of worrisome condition while keeping Haploclastus devamatha sling in completely terrestrial set up due to lacking in information.

After first ever feeding under my care, it refused to eat anymore. It webbed a bit here and there. but I could easily tell that it was not doing so great. After realizing it’s known behavior of making tube tunnel burrow, I rehoused it into vial type enclosure. Now it is really thriving while making burrows, webbing much more, and never refusing to eat, and molting on time as well.

Tarantulas’ adaptiveness is there not to challenge, but to cherish. To test their tolerance with lacking in information is not so charming, but so harming.

Last edited:

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Yeah Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens is a terrestrial. its not semi.

Also there is yet to be any proof of communal- I would almost rather them be listed as 'semi communal' to notate this distinction, as they are adaptable.....until they are not and you got one fat spider lol

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Yeah...mostly people just really need to do their research before getting a new species. I think that a lot of these issues stem from the fact that a lot of people don't get their information from credible sources, or don't do any research at all beforehand. Researching the animal's natural habitat/ behavior and getting advice from experienced keepers instead of relying on care sheets solves a lot of these problems.