Adapting aquiarium for scorpions

Androctonus_bic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I decided to make a recicling to my old aquarium.I build the wood and the 2 grid part. That is the terrarium for my new A.australis that I build.

Cheers
Carles

polphot

Arachnopeon
Great work on the terrarium! I like the double mesh idea. A finer mesh inside would be better to prevent crickets from jumping out. Cheers!{D

Banshee05

Arachnolord
Old Timer
nice.
but one question: is the whole tank filled with that "big"stones?!? if yes, why? cause in this stones the scopr can surely not dig and build himself a hole...
so it makes no sense, or do you heat from the ground?!?

twirl and kill

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
nice.
but one question: is the whole tank filled with that "big"stones?!? if yes, why? cause in this stones the scopr can surely not dig and build himself a hole...
so it makes no sense, or do you heat from the ground?!?
theres a hide in there.

Banshee05

Arachnolord
Old Timer
yes, i see the stones, but the high subrat makes no sense.
or did he dig a hole for scorp which cannot broke down? such big stones aren't very good for underground constructions.

pokermon919

Arachnopeon
looks like a small hide, doubt it can go deep since the stones are pretty big and won't be stable and packed enough

Uncle Manny

Arachnopeon
Great idea for a "hot" cage.

You are to be commended for having made great strides in preparing an escape proof cage/aquarium. You obviously are aware and concerned about the potential danger an escaped Androctonus would be.

I agree that using a fine screen mesh on the inner screen would be an excellent idea. It could be as simple as gluing or stapling the finner mesh piece of wider one. Since the inner mesh fits on the aquarium's lip it might be really tight-fitting if placed into some form of frame which could sit on the lip and extend below. The hasp is another super idea.

The substrate should be finer sand so it is easier for the Antroctonus to burrow or dig a scape beneath it's hides.

Hopefully other keepers will follow your respect for potentally danger scorpions.

Manny Rubio

Androctonus_bic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Don't worry boys:) That is a simply and provisional terrarium to take the pictures (empty looks like too poor to show it to you). Will be a hide under the terrarium. I'm thinking if is better to water the little stones ( that in the true live are compactet sand) to become a operative superficie after drying or mix it with pet most and do the same process than before.

And... Hum Hum...:eek: Mr. Manny Rubio :worship: Very glad to know you.:D I loved to your books, I think they are great.:clap:

The fine mesh will be a great idea to avoid the criket scape. Maybe I'll do that (fix one with smaller holes) or I will move the second mesh to make a crossing betwen the to meshes and reducing the holes. ( unsimetrical one in the top of the other, I don't know if you're undestand me).

If you whant to see the build steps make this.

Click on http://infoartropodos.sub.es/, before search "Otras secciones" in the right side. Before, click on "Articulos" wait.... Click on "Transformando acuarios en terrarios para escorpiones desérticos" enjoy it. (sorry it is in spanish).

Cheers
Carles