Active Tarantulas?

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
What tarantulas, arborial AND Terrestrial are considered to be very active?

I've heard that King Baboons are quite the dirt movers, but spend all their time underground.

Jon

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Any of the Pamphaboteus genus are good active spiders. My wife is on my back to get her one, right now ;) She looking towards a P. nigricolor, but I'm keeping my options open until we find one I can really enjoy.

-Bryan

dennis

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
My P. Platyomma is my most active T by far!
He is only a small little guy, but as soon as he feels your presence he starts running around in his enclosure ... maybe looking for a cool cricketdrop-spot :).

Ðennis

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I agree. My nigricolors, platyomma, L. cristata, C. fasciatum, and pretty much all my Gramastola (puchra, aureostriata and rosea) are usually visible and quite active.
As far as my arboreals go, my most active ones are my S. calceatum, T. gigas, P. formosa and P. ornata.

Atrax

Last edited:

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Does L. crista get as large as parahybana?
I like the color of crista more than parahybana, but I'm also interested in getting a mammoth t too. (Don't want a theraphosa species)
So is how active is parahybana?

Are any of the Pamphaboteus species really huge?

Jon

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Big Dragonfly
Does L. crista get as large as parahybana?
I like the color of crista more than parahybana, but I'm also interested in getting a mammoth t too. (Don't want a theraphosa species)
So is how active is parahybana?

Are any of the Pamphaboteus species really huge?

Jon
I'm glad you asked because you just reminded me that my Lasiodora difficilis is also quite active. :)
Although L. cristata (Anyone know if it's officially changed to cristata now or is it still cristatus?) get quite large, I don't think they get as large as parahybana. As far as how big L. parahybana gets, check this... she's 9"+ and growing...

http://www.arachnopets.com/arachnob...s=&threadid=4611&highlight=Colorado+Community

Pamphos also get quite large. I've heard people compare them to lasiodoras is size. There have been reports of some Pamphos reaching 10". I think the average is probably somewhere in the range of 8"-9" though...which is still pretty freakin huge when you see it. :)

Atrax

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have an A. geniculata that is still growing. How should it compare to a parahybana?

How should a difficilis compare size wise to a parahybana? I've read that they are quite similar to parahybana except that their colors are brighter.

I really love the way that King Baboons look and would like to have one. However, I already have one tarantula, an H. aureopilosum, that I never really get to see.

Thank
Jon

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My Green Bottle Blue is a pretty active spider that you see quite a bit, also my C. fascitum. My parahybana rerely hides so it is always seen, fairly docile too, at least mine is!! Actually my T. blondi sits outside of her burrow quite a bit, not real active at moving alot, unless food is involved! My geniculata is real active and visible. If I were you I would get a King Baboon, they are really cool spiders, yes they do move alot of dirt like my H. albostriatum and H. hercules and they aren't seen in the open that much, but the King is awesome enough to get one anyway.

Good Luck,
Andy

Doug H

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Jon, I have a L.cristata that is very active and very beutiful .they get quite large 8" .the only time mine goes down and under is when she is going to molt.

Kenny

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Active

Hi

The Pulchra and the GBB are the most active in my care, easy.

The Pulchra is a combined tractor and mine-digger machine at the same time and can do it in no time.
The cage change apperance from day to day.
Even the waterdish went 90 degress downwards one day, standing on the side.:)

For the GBB I have one word: H y p e r. :D
Webbing like there is no tomorrow and eating the same way.

Kenny