Active Tarantula

Josh Mulhern

Arachnopeon
I have a Grammostola Actaeon who is roughly 4". He molted a few weeks ago and has started eating, and now he is walking all over his enclosure, and I mean ALL over. The walls, the lid, everywhere. Is it normal for this species to be this active?

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
we’ll need a front view of the pedipalps and legs to see if it’s a mature male.

The enclosure looks like it could use some work though which might have something to do with it.

Looks like it needs more substrate and it might be good to bury one side of the hide.

You also have a screen lid which can be dangerous (esp. combined with the lack of sub). If your spider is already wandering it could easily begin to climb and get it’s claws stuck and fall to it’s death.

You can get plexiglass cut to size and drill holes in it to use as a lid or get a cheap storage container from Wal-Mart or wherever and drill ventilation holes along the sides. I use storage containers and Kritter Keepers for all of my terrestrials.

MintyWood826

Arachnobaron
We need to be able to see the ends of the palps.

That low level of substrate combined with the screen lid and wandering is a recipe for death by ruptured abdomen.

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
Could be he's a mature male, we need pics of the front of the pedipalps to tell though like people already said. Also the enclosure could use more substrate, terrestrial species shouldn't have too much height like that because they can climb up and fall possibly rupturing their abdomen.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have a Grammostola Actaeon who is roughly 4". He molted a few weeks ago and has started eating, and now he is walking all over his enclosure, and I mean ALL over. The walls, the lid, everywhere. Is it normal for this species to be this active?
No, but if a MM, then YES