Active old world T's

ShotgunMessage

Arachnopeon
What are some active old world T's

I read that the Hysterocrates gigas can be fairly active, are there any others?

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ceratogyrus marshalli. Webs like crazy and stays out in the open. Plus makes cool stridulation sounds if threatened.

Andrei

Arachnopeon
Any Ceratogyrus would do. They stay in the open and are active.
King baboon is a active tarantula too, only that we don't see its activity. Mine is constructing a network of tunnels. :D
Most of Poecilotheria stay in the open when they are adults.

ShotgunMessage

Arachnopeon
Thanks guys!
In the future I'm thinking of getting an old world tarantula and cant decide which one I want :S

RichRollin

Arachnopeon
What are some active old world T's

I read that the Hysterocrates gigas can be fairly active, are there any others?
My H. gigas is NOT active! I rarely see her. In fact, if it wasnt for the fact that I can kinda see into her burrow through the glass terrarium she's in, I'd pretty much never see her. Now, if by active you mean that if you put one in an enclosure with plenty of fresh substrate for burrowing they will dig like crazy, your right. Once they're done to their liking though, they disappear. My King Baboon is the same way.

Most active old world T's that I've had are my two P. chordatus'. They're about the only ones I see out of their burrow/hides during the day. My OBT is usually out and about at night. I've got a couple haplos and I rarely see them. The pokies I've had were all out at night but usually hidden during the day.

Hrothgar

Arachnopeon
My experience with almost all Ts, old and new, is that if they have a decent substrate they will burrow. H gigas will come out at night only, Augacephalus burrow, out at night, all sorts behave similarly. The webbers are in their webs, as they tend to be more arboreal than terrestrial. However, all T's are lurkers, except when on the hunt for a female! There is a lot of advice about not having too big an enclosure, but I think a lot of observed behaviour is entirely artificial, due to our space restrictions. I have not seen my Curly hair for a year - but the food disappears regularly!:)

Andrei

Arachnopeon
Yes, you are correct, allmost all tarantulas will burrow or will hide if they can. The difference is that some species will spend more time outside their burrrow, and some will stay allmost only inside. For example, my P lugardi adult female stays in her burrow for 2-3 months at a time and after that comes out for a month of feeding, and after that she dissappears again. On the other side my Pamphobeteus south ecuador stays allmost opnly in the open and hydes only if it feels threatend. (basicly when I interact with it).