active Brachypelma species?

Neot

Arachnopeon
Is there any Brachypelma species that tend to be busy all the time? I have a tiger rump T. and she always entertain me by being active every time I look at her, now I want another active T. with a bulky body like Brachy.

another question, how large can Brachypelma emilia grow? I just got a sling yesterday and some websites said it can grow up to 5 inch, but I also see some sites said it can reach 6.5"
Thank you in advance for any replies

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Ts arent active very much at all. to them, activity is sitting outside their hide. by tiger rump, im assuming you mean Davus fasiatus?

B emilia can prob hit 6" but no bigger.

Neot

Arachnopeon
yep Davus fasiatus, she's the most active T. that I have.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
It's hard to say for a whole genus or species if it is active, it's different from one spider or the next.
My B.smithi is pretty active, remodeling her enclosure, dragging plants all over the place.
One of my B.albopilosum is like a little bulldozer, and seems to like making a mess of his waterdish and hide.
Another species, although not in the Brachypelma genus, is also very active, the C.cyaneopubescens or commonly named GBB. It webs and webs, and have a big appetite and huge growing rates per molt when sling.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
We need to define, first, what for "active" people mean, because, quite frankly, is pretty subjective. As Venom1080 said, T's aren't active that much.

And for certain people standards (people not much into T's or at all) they aren't "active" animals (obviously viewed from a very superficial and inaccurate point of view) anyway a C.cyaneopubescens, for instance, since love to web, is (almost) always busy making "something".

Like Andrea82, I have a (pretty old and a bit on the grumpy side) B.albopilosum as well... she's quite active, and great web-maker, but definitely not "active" like my GBB.

Another example. My female P.murinus, since I've offered to her an helluva of inches of substrate for avoid (but not always happens, however, for that the final choice of home-decor belongs always to the Theraphosidae "legs") the risk of a "web only" enclosure (it's not the best to remove and clean a water dish literally covered by web when inside there's that lovely, unruly, orange crazy, ready to bolt in high strung mode) she lives a pretty, lazy as hell, life under that cork bark, with web "under and nearby" only. Lazy to the bone, lol

Depends, always. But in general they are genuine class A lazy lovely animals waiting that the food crumbles from the sky like those old nuts depicted in the Bible, yuhuuu :kiss:

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Vagans albiceps albopilosum and auratum are usually up to something. But even then there is a chance you will get a 'pet rock'

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I am content when mine are out and visible, regardless if they move around much or not.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
As has been said, temperaments vary from one individual to the next. In general, B. vagans is the most consistently active Brachy I've kept. The least active? B. emilia. Enjoy that pet rock.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Journal of a B.emilia:
1-10: meh
5-10: meh
10-10: oh my gawd you guise, i totally rock! Moved from one corner to another, so tired now, lol, omg!
11-10: meh
:D

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
1 out of my 3 emilia is 'active' but I think she is just hungry non-stop. Wee fatty.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
yep Davus fasiatus, she's the most active T. that I have.
My version of active means out and about though probably not moving.

My B. smithi (>4 years surveying) and B. albiceps (<1 year surveying) are usually laying in their water dish or on top of a hide. They're also pretty laid back during cage maintenance but will still scuttle back to their hides and poke their feet out to see what's up (if they move at all).

My GBB is the same way, always on top of its hide.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
In my collection, if it's active one week, expect the next month to be a big fat zero. Solution, buy a dozen or so T's. One will be doing something. Don't be disappointed if it consists of moving from one corner to the other.

Neot

Arachnopeon
What about a hybrid specie like brachypelma albogans (albopilosum+vagans)? do they inherit active trait from B. albopilosum ?

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
What about a hybrid specie like brachypelma albogansI'malbopilosum+vagans)? do they inherit active trait from B. albopilosum ?
Albogans??? Seriously? Where did you see that term?
Hybrids are frowned upon in the T-hobby, so im wondering where did you hear that..

Neot

Arachnopeon
Albogans??? Seriously? Where did you see that term?
Hybrids are frowned upon in the T-hobby, so im wondering where did you hear that..
I learnt about it from this forum when I tried to search for B. vagans information in this morning:embarrassed:.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Ah, i see, it probably was sarcasm or a joke then. (I hope)
I was worried you might have encountered a not so scrupulous breeder ;)