Acrylic tarantula cages.

Christianb96

Arachnoknight
I'm thinking about getting a tarantula soon and was wondering where to order a front loading acrylic cage or even a top loading cage ( with out breaking the bank) I don't see any on Amazon

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm thinking about getting a tarantula soon and was wondering where to order a front loading acrylic cage or even a top loading cage ( with out breaking the bank) I don't see any on Amazon
This question is in the wrong forum, should be in chat. However, no one can give you specific info as you haven't provided a price range. Breaking the bank to me is anything over 5,000$, I know I'm cheap.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Oops. I was looking for something no more then 50$
Amazon or Ebay (Good luck on both!) most of us have not ordered from either. Most owners are DIYer's, or Sterilite, ExoTerra owners, or various plastic containers. The 50$ price point is only possible it seems if you make it yourself. Unless you get a ExoTerra on sale! Even then you'd need to replace the screen w/acrylic, not hard at all though, if going arboreal.

Christianb96

Arachnoknight
Thanks for the info, maybe I'll look at making my own. Sorry for posting in the wrong forum!

Devin B

Arachnobaron
I made 2 of my own enclosures with stuff from hobby lobby. I used a golf ball display case and a model car display case. Once i had those i drilled holes in the sides and top. There are good videos on youtube of how to do this. I think it was less then $10 for both enclosures.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
You also didn't specify the size. How big is the tarantula you're getting?

checkmate

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What size? I got mine from Jamie's Tarantulas (2 Adult & 1 XL) but the Adult enclosures are more than $50 (it's $84 for the enclosure just by itself).

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Here's some anecdotal evidence for you.

I'll never buy an acrylic cage again. I've got a "good quality" cage from one of the big dealers, and it worked perfectly fine for a couple years. When I decided to put a species in there that required more substrate (about 4" worth), the acrylic bowed within a week. The cage is now garbage.

Buy an aquarium and make a lid. Half the price and double the durability. I'll write a guide if you want on how to make a lid.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

I'll never buy an acrylic cage again. I've got a "good quality" cage from one of the big dealers, and it worked perfectly fine for a couple years. When I decided to put a species in there that required more substrate (about 4" worth), the acrylic bowed within a week. The cage is now garbage.

Buy an aquarium and make a lid. Half the price and double the durability. I'll write a guide if you want on how to make a lid.
The acrylic has to be thick enough. How thick was it?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
The acrylic has to be thick enough. How thick was it?
That would be 3/16", pretty standard for the size of enclosure I got. I've only seen thicker used in the large enclosures. See your PM.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
@Christianb96 Buy a Kritter Keeper. They have nice clear viewing and the lids are (usually) fairly secure. Or get a Sterilite plastic container or something similar that is clear (not solid colored).

What species of Tarantula are you considering getting? That important detail will determine how you set up your enclosure and what not.

DrowsyLids

Arachnosquire
I purchased a sterilite container and drilled holes in the sides and top and it's working great.

DrowsyLids

Arachnosquire

That's upsetting to hear, I've been planning on upgrading my p Metallica to one of Jamie's acrylic enclosures. Would you recommend not doing that?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
That's upsetting to hear, I've been planning on upgrading my p Metallica to one of Jamie's acrylic enclosures. Would you recommend not doing that?
Well, to clarify, it bowed because I filled it with substrate. That was just too much stress, apparently. I think that it's alright for arboreals, but I'd never get another terrestrial one. Just don't put a lot of substrate or heavy decor and you should be fine.

DrowsyLids

Arachnosquire
Well, to clarify, it bowed because I filled it with substrate. That was just too much stress, apparently. I think that it's alright for arboreals, but I'd never get another terrestrial one. Just don't put a lot of substrate or heavy decor and you should be fine.
Noted

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Well as that is an arboreal T it's unlikely you run into the problem that @EulersK hit with the weight of the substrate causing problems. I have one of Jamies Large enclosures that I house a adult P.cam female in. It works really great for that. I've recently been looking at other enclosures due to the amount of Ts I have and the cost of the enclosures.

Just depends on how you're going to use the enclosures and how many you need.