Acrylic tarantula cages.

DrowsyLids

Arachnosquire
Well as that is an arboreal T it's unlikely you run into the problem that @EulersK hit with the weight of the substrate causing problems. I have one of Jamies Large enclosures that I house a adult P.cam female in. It works really great for that. I've recently been looking at other enclosures due to the amount of Ts I have and the cost of the enclosures.

Just depends on how you're going to use the enclosures and how many you need.
I only have 3 tarantulas and can afford to house them all nicely. My p met is in a glass enclosure with a mesh top and I am rehousing it to something more suitable/safe. I can go with a sterilite or other DIY set-up but if jaime's enclosures are highly reputable for this T then I will put in the money for it.

obie

Arachnosquire
ive got a couple of those dalle craft ones from amazon. there not bad for the price but i recomend bonding them with the acrylic bond because there not completly sealed around the edges

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Here's some anecdotal evidence for you.

I'll never buy an acrylic cage again. I've got a "good quality" cage from one of the big dealers, and it worked perfectly fine for a couple years. When I decided to put a species in there that required more substrate (about 4" worth), the acrylic bowed within a week. The cage is now garbage.

Buy an aquarium and make a lid. Half the price and double the durability. I'll write a guide if you want on how to make a lid.
I don't think this was caused by humidity, I think you had bum material.

Acrylic does deform with humidity, but it's like 3thou/inch of lenght from 20% to 90% humidity.
I found a report that discussed humidity deformation it was missing some charts that explained this. I called to talk to them but about it - turns out they LOST THE PLOTS!!
Plexiglass_temp/humidity_bowing

But here's some common properties of acrylic where I got that number above.
Plexiglass general info

What I think happened is that you were creeping up on that glass transition curve for acrylic, there were internal stresses from poor material manufacturing, and then you added heat and humidity in the mix.

I've had acrylic holding my smithi for almost 5 years. I thought she needed a 'wet' enclosure for the first two years as she sat next to my snake cage heat lamp or had a heat mat on her... :bag:

It's still beautiful and crystal clear to this day.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I don't think this was caused by humidity, I think you had bum material.

Acrylic does deform with humidity, but it's like 3thou/inch of lenght from 20% to 90% humidity.
I found a report that discussed humidity deformation it was missing some charts that explained this. I called to talk to them but about it - turns out they LOST THE PLOTS!!
Plexiglass_temp/humidity_bowing

But here's some common properties of acrylic where I got that number above.
Plexiglass general info

What I think happened is that you were creeping up on that glass transition curve for acrylic, there were internal stresses from poor material manufacturing, and then you added heat and humidity in the mix.

I've had acrylic holding my smithi for almost 5 years. I thought she needed a 'wet' enclosure for the first two years as she sat next to my snake cage heat lamp or had a heat mat on her... :bag:

It's still beautiful and crystal clear to this day.
I'm sure it was the weight of the substrate. It was perfectly fine for over two years (might be three years now that I think about it), and it only went down hill when I put in an excavating species.