Acladocricus sp. 'Java' Yellow Leg

sheamurray17

Arachnopeon
So I haven't seen too much online about the care of this species so I thought I would share how I am currently keeping mine.

This is a huge species! Whilst I haven't measure mine I would guess they are reaching 27cm.

Acladocricus sp 'Java' 2.jpg

Distribution-
Although this species resembles some others already established in the hobby, it hails from Java, Indonesia. I purchased my adult pair from Germany under the species name in the title of this thread.

Keeping-
I keep them at 22-24C (71-75F) during the day and this drops to around 18-20C (64-68F) at night. I use a 32L storage box with air holes in both the lid and on all sides, I don't have too many holes as this species likes humidity. In terms of substrate I make my own mix from:
1 Part Arcadia earth mix (very high nutritional value)
2 Parts deciduous woodland humus
2 Parts deciduous leaf litter from previous year mostly oak and beech.
1 Part decaying wood flake
1/4 Part bird sand

I then add a a layer of decaying wood and finely shredded decaying oak leave on top of this followed by a thick layer of unshredded decaying leaves and logs. If I find a particularly well decaying log i will submerge this into the subtrate to allow young pedes to feed. I keep this moderately 'moist' by spraying the surface every couple of days and looking through the box to check the deeper layers.My substrate is around 15cm deep.

These pedes seem to be a nice combination of fossorial and surface dwelling, I see them pummelling around the leaf litter (they eat lots of this!) as well as building a network of tunnels through the substrate.
Acladocricus sp 'Java' 1.jpg

Breeding-
I am yet to witness a mating from the pair. I don't spend much time observing them however so they may mate readily. I do not disturb them much at all, only when changing food and occasionally checking on them. I am yet to see eggs or pedes from the species however I have only had them around 3 months so I will await to give a better update later on in the year.

Feeding-
This species primarily feeds on the leaf litter offered which they destroy! They also accept fruit and veg very well, I feed mine a combination of carrot, aubergine, boiled corn and cucumber covered with spirulina fish flakes/ calcium carbonate (protein/calcium). I provide cuttlefish however this does not seem to be touched.

Extra-
No defensive excretion observed.

Overall this species seems particularly easy to care for, very active and feeding well. I don't know how long they have been within the hobby but I have noticed multiple shipment with this species over the past year or so. The only other species I know belonging to this genus is the Philippine blue millipede which seems to have been established longer, which Orin claims is both easy to keep and breed. Fingers crossed it is the same for these beasts! Acladocricus sp 'Java' 3.jpg

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Thanks for sharing this care with us! It’s looks like a truly amazing species!