Achievement(s) Unlocked

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Hola,

So, I've had some developments and firsts in my collection recently and I think it's time to share a little sneak peak.
20211019_221537.jpg
Phormingochilus sp Akcaya on eggsack. From what I can gather, this is the second time (or possibly the third) that they've been produced in the US. The picture was taken on 10/19. The eggsack was laid sometime between 10/13 when she was fed and 10/19. I covered her enclosure with a blanket and didn't touch or open it for 30 days.

20211118_101121.jpg
This photo and the next three as well are from 11/18. While this isn't the first eggsack that's been produced in my collection (actually it's the second), this was the first eggsack I've managed to pull. Notice how dry the substrate is. How am I not only keeping a moisture dependent species in a dry enclosure on dry substrate, but she's still carrying an eggsack and not abandoning/eating it? Would it surprise you to learn that her burrow was still 80-82 degrees and ~75%+ RH after not adding water to the substrate for 5 weeks? Is she in a standard Sterilite tote (more on that a bit later)?

20211118_101431.jpg
20211118_102013.jpg
20211119_153500.jpg
Much larger eggsack then I was expecting, especially considering the age/size of the female. They were just starting to become EWL when pulled.

20211201_162846.jpg
EWL to 1i metamorphosis underway. They started two days ago and this picture is from today (12/1). They've been kept at an average of 80.33 degrees Fahrenheit and 99-100% RH. I'll update when the 1i to 2i change begins, *fingers crossed*.

Now, as to the enclosures I've alluded too above. These are second generation prototype enclosures that modify and control the temperature and humidity in a tarantula's BURROW/HIDE, not the ENCLOSURE. Think about the ramifications of that. I plan on doing a full writeup soon, but I'm unable to get the pictures I need to complete it.
20211201_170845.jpg
As you can see, I'm trying my best not to disturb anyone :) .

Thanks,
--Matt

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
Hola,

So, I've had some developments and firsts in my collection recently and I think it's time to share a little sneak peak.
View attachment 404874
Phormingochilus sp Akcaya on eggsack. From what I can gather, this is the second time (or possibly the third) that they've been produced in the US. The picture was taken on 10/19. The eggsack was laid sometime between 10/13 when she was fed and 10/19. I covered her enclosure with a blanket and didn't touch or open it for 30 days.

View attachment 404875
This photo and the next three as well are from 11/18. While this isn't the first eggsack that's been produced in my collection (actually it's the second), this was the first eggsack I've managed to pull. Notice how dry the substrate is. How am I not only keeping a moisture dependent species in a dry enclosure on dry substrate, but she's still carrying an eggsack and not abandoning/eating it? Would it surprise you to learn that her burrow was still 80-82 degrees and ~75%+ RH after not adding water to the substrate for 5 weeks? Is she in a standard Sterilite tote (more on that a bit later)?

View attachment 404876
View attachment 404877
View attachment 404879
Much larger eggsack then I was expecting, especially considering the age/size of the female. They were just starting to become EWL when pulled.

View attachment 404880
EWL to 1i metamorphosis underway. They started two days ago and this picture is from today (12/1). They've been kept at an average of 80.33 degrees Fahrenheit and 99-100% RH. I'll update when the 1i to 2i change begins, *fingers crossed*.

Now, as to the enclosures I've alluded too above. These are second generation prototype enclosures that modify and control the temperature and humidity in a tarantula's BURROW/HIDE, not the ENCLOSURE. Think about the ramifications of that. I plan on doing a full writeup soon, but I'm unable to get the pictures I need to complete it.
View attachment 404888

Thanks,
--Matt
Congratz Matt 😃

Best wishes hope it all turns out great.

Might want to message @BoyFromLA he just lost one of these he might be interested.

Looking forward to reading more on your enclosures. Yes I was scratching my head on the dryness, lol.

Again congratulations on a successful eggsac.

Last edited by a moderator:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hola,

View attachment 404874

View attachment 404875

View attachment 404876
View attachment 404877
View attachment 404879

View attachment 404880

View attachment 404888

Thanks,
--Matt
Im interested in the PVC bits and its venting along with the plastic grid often found in PDF tanks.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
I'll probably cause more questions by answering those, but the PVC bits are a water reservoir fill port and air intake. The light diffuser panel on the outside is just used as a platform surface (easier to work with then plywood). Inside, it's basically a false bottom with some tweaks.

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
Oh this is sooo cool Matt. Looks like you're pumping in the warmed, humidified air into the enclosure. Really right into the burrow would be a more accurate statement.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Oh this is sooo cool Matt. Looks like you're pumping in the warmed, humidified air into the enclosure. Really right into the burrow would be a more accurate statement.
Bingo, not pumping though. The vibration and brisk air movement from a fan going into the hide would not be a good idea for what amounts to basically a walking sensory organ like a tarantula lol (it was borderline if I was even going to be able to get away with using the ultrasonic mist makers in the reservoirs). The air movement is achieved passively via the stack effect and there are both gross controls and fine controls to dial in the system. More to come about specifics, but you seem like you get the gist ;)

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
20211225_165731.jpg
Here's about 70 of the P. sp Akcaya 2i's (forgot to get pictures in the incubator). They started molting into 2i's about a week ago and the first of them are just starting to eat. I had a bit of a mechanical failure in my experimental incubator and I lost a few between EWL and 1i when I had a bit of a humidity dip. It should be good now though and ready for (hopefully) the second eggsack that's getting pulled next week (different species).

Thanks,
--Matt

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Well, the day I've been waiting for is here. On 11/29, I noticed another one of my tarantulas in the prototype enclosures was on an eggsack. That means of the two paired specimens in the enclosures, two have produced an eggsack. I decided to pull a day early as I noticed her water bowl (long since dry) had been moved and I had to see what was going on.
20211228_091930.jpg
As you can see, everything is very dry.
20211228_093835.jpg
This is the gap between the substrate and the enclosure wall on the left side. The substrate has lost so much moisture that it's contracted a good 1/4" from the sides. Yet before I pulled her enclosure off the base, her burrow was 80.8 degrees F and 74.4% RH (the humidification system was running, it kicks on at 75%, and would've hit 78% RH in the next 10 minutes).
20211228_091547.jpg
20211228_091605.jpg
20211228_092001.jpg
Mom made a nice cover for her burrow. What I couldn't get a picture of was that this burrow went all the way down to the false bottom. If I shined a light under the false bottom, I could see into her hide (hint hint, the stack effect is also known as the chimney effect). After some careful excavations, I was greeted with this absolutely lovely sight.
20211228_092209.jpg
That's a 6.5" DLS Phormingochilus sp. Sabah Blue on an eggsack, possibly my favorite Asian arboreal species. Mom did a very good job, especially for how old she is. She hasn't even begun to darken as mature Sabah Blue females tend to do. Taking it from her was a bit of a chore, but we didn't wrestle for it like I did with the P. sp Akcaya. She put herself between the eggsack and me and would fly off the handle when I would go for it. In the end, I managed to get it out without damaging an egg and avoiding mom's fangs.
20211228_092518.jpg
20211228_092744.jpg
20211228_093459.jpg

I'm sold on the effectiveness of these prototype enclosures. So much so that I'm going to invest heavily and make an automated rack of them. Now that I've pulled the last eggsack and I have a month or so until I need to start worrying about if the P. sp Akcaya is going to double clutch for me, I can get the pictures I need to finish the writeup on these enclosures and post it in my methodology thread. I'll update this thread when I do (it might be a few weeks, life and all lol).

Thanks,
--Matt