ACD people...

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
So we finally determined our rescue is NOT a Stumpy Tail after finally finding a breed standard website stating that they should not have tan markings mixed with blue (which she does). So it's been determined that she, in fact, an ACD but she was born with a bobtail. So my question is (to determine if she's a mix or not because she looks like breed standard otherwise) are there occasionally heelers born with bobtails? It's already been determined that it was not docked. Or is she the result of someone thinking a stumpy tail was a heeler with a docked tail? I found a couple fly-by postings by anonymous users that they had picked out a bobtailed puppy from a litter of heelers with tails but I was curious to what you guys say. (This is just to serve my insatiable curiosity)

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Actually a stumpy tail is an Australian cattle dog, also called a heeler (blue, red or Queensland). There are cattle dogs with tails and others born without because of selective breeding.

www.garyherrin.com

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Actually a stumpy tail is an Australian cattle dog, also called a heeler (blue, red or Queensland). There are cattle dogs with tails and others born without because of selective breeding.

www.garyherrin.com
They come from similar lineages but they were never considered the same breed. They come from completely different stock even though very few people claim they are from the same lineage. Also, Stumpy tails were originally from Australia as well and people commonly called them heelers too even though neither are officially called "Heeler".

From what I gathered from that website, there was a lot of interbreeding with the Australian Shepherd before they were recognized by the AKC and so one with a bobtail pops up. Thanks for the info!